Monitors, monitors, monitors....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i am looking to make the jump to a 22" widescreen. But which one?

The ons i am looking at are....

LG L226WTQ - £212

Samsung SM-226BW - £220 (This week only)

Samsung SM-2232BW Pebble - £230

I know about the 226BW's panel lottery but am willing to risk it, as the 'S' panels are very good by all accounts.

The pebble is the new one and should be very good.

I know a few of you have the LG, so lets hear some opinions, what the viewing angle like?

I am also thinking of selling the 640GTS and going GTX if i get a new monitor, dont call me mad i know. :blush:

Reaction score
I would give you my opinion on the LG, but still waiting for my brothers money to come through on his card so will try to update you asap mate.

I do love the look of the Pebble, i would go for the Pebble or LG to be honest :)

My two cents.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmm, from what i've just been reading it seems the Pebble is a guaranteed 'S' panel, that good! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
S panel is one the types of panel used in samsung monitors remember the panel lottery i was talking about? Well the 226BW is made in three different places, They use the S, A and C panel, the S being the better one and the C being the worst. This is based on what i've read on the net btw. The 226BW is a damn fine monitor but i dislike the idea of taking a gamble on it being the better panel, and the only way to find out which one you got is to take the back off the screen. :rolleyes:

So as the 2232BW seems to have a S panel and only an S panel there is no gamble involved. :)

Reaction score
S'pose the main thing is budget to start with.

Then what res u gonna get best performance from ur vid/cpu setup from (so u can work out ur highest native needed res on TFT)

Then it's down to extras like warranty and (last)...brand

Iiyama are great for quality, tech support and swapout; Dell are good for high res TFT at reasonable prices...tell us a bit more about what ur priorities are m8...

Bottom line..I reckon it's difficult to buy a poor TFT nowadays...u could easily go for the cheapest and get a fantastic bargain...don't get too taken in by brands when things (prices) are changing so fast ;)

Remember (and I'm sure u know this already) ...whatever u buy, u could get the same or better/cheaper in a couple of months...don't keep waiting - buy something based on ur common sense needs, and spend a little more on brand or rumour, as long as it makes u feel better!;)
(I know very few people who can tell u the monitor brand or price by looking at the image on screen)

Bit worse for the booze atm...but i hope u get my drift....but, eh! Just thought of something really telling...

Have you ever thought that what u see with your own eyes may be totally different from someone else? Some peeps are colour blind, short-sighted, long-sighted etc...How u know the review ur reading wasn't written by a blind man? Trust your own eyes...what looks good to you? You may be one of the lucky ones who gets fantastic imagery for under a hundred bucks/quid. :D

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really pleased with the LG you have above - the viewing angle is great and would never be a problem unless you view your monitor at 90 degrees ;)

Ghosting hasn't been an issue, and everything seems nice and bright when it needs to be. I've not compared it to a new Samsung so I can't give you a comparison, but I can say that I'm very pleased I got this monitor :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@ 1nt, Some wise word there mate. I have taken that in. :)

Ian, The LG was the first one i looked at and still my favourite, but the Pebble is very tempting. Thanks for the info though. I've read lots about the screens now and apart from the 'purists' who insist on tn film monitors being rubbish :)confused:) and that you should only buy a 20" or 24" Dell, the reviews have all been very good. :)

Hmmmm, now all i gotta do is pick one..... :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I found this site very informative ,

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/p3

and this was interesting for the dead pixel info

http://www.behardware.com/articles/666-2/a-look-into-dead-pixels-2007.html

What made up my mind for me though was the zero dead pixel guarantee on the Dell from these folks

http://www.behardware.com/articles/666-2/a-look-into-dead-pixels-2007.html

I seem to recal in the last week or so that another brand of monitor was being offered with a zero dead pixel guarantee here in the uk but I can not remember who it was or where I saw it .

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Some places (I think Aria and MicroDirect did, when I bought mine) offer a "dead pixel" check when buying monitors for a fee. I wasn't fussed and didn't go for this, but my LG has none so I'm quite pleased :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
AB, your last two links are the same.

Will look into that Ian, cheers. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
AB, your last two links are the same.

Will look into that Ian, cheers. :)

That happens to me a lot and its caused by FireFox , i have a copy and a paste icon on my toolbar but sometimes it does not change properly . Heres the link .

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=6&sku=225

Only posted about the dead pixels as it would be a shame to pay all that money and end up with the maximum allowed number of dead pixels with nothing you could do about it . Its only a very small percentage of screens that do have DP as far as I have read though . I didn't want to take the chance meself even though I've never seen a dead pixel so I can't say how awful they look , they sound pretty bad though .

nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats a chance that we take buying bigger screens tbh, the bigger it is the more pixels there are and the higher the chance one or more are dead/stuck. But as you say Its a small % of them that are like that. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just got This One and it's ab-so-lutel-ly 'kin brilliant :D

Sharp picture, bright picture, superb gaming and it looks dead sexy, just like their glossy black 32" TV's.

And I'm doing better at CoD2 online as well..... ;)

PS: And bugger, I paid £235.00 for mine, I see it's a tenner less this week :mad:

Such is life, our kid.... :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah! thats the pebble i linked to above! So you like yes? I'm hovering over they buy button as i type!! :D

If your that impressed with it, i'm gonna go for it, i trust ya!! :thumb:

Howdoes your system play on it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Everything is good.

My old Samsung 20" (11 months old) is now on my second system, this Monitor has brightened things up considerably.

No dead pixels, no ghosting, a claimed 2ms response time.

Yes, I'm happy with it :)

It is bright though, but of course you can adjust things.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm liking the look of that Pebble 22" but can't justify buying it when my 19" widescreen is just brilliant and has not a thing wrong with it...

Damn and blast why can't it just stop working or something...:D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've just got This One and it's ab-so-lutel-ly 'kin brilliant :D

Sharp picture, bright picture, superb gaming and it looks dead sexy, just like their glossy black 32" TV's.

And I'm doing better at CoD2 online as well..... ;)

PS: And bugger, I paid £235.00 for mine, I see it's a tenner less this week :mad:

Such is life, our kid.... :D

tell me more Flopps this thing looks amazing!

Any chance of some pictures please?

Ask a Question