LG Monitor White Screen

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I seem to have a strange problem with my LG monitor (L226WTQ) at the moment. Whenever I turn it on or the monitor comes out of standby, it shows a completely white screen :confused:.

It started a few weeks ago and could be rectified by turning the monitor off then on. Now, it takes about 10 attempts of doing this and seems to be getting worse!

It does this even if the monitor isn't plugged in to the graphics card and I've tried googling for any answers but can't find much.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before or know if it's fixable? The monitor is out of warranty, so it looks like a replacement may be on the cards - but it's perfectly fine for my needs when it works, so I'd rather fix it if possible.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I've tried googling for any answers but can't find much.

Googling is so yesterday.

Bing is todays new thing,

http://www.fixya.com/support/t3534112-lg_monitor_turns_but_screen_white

This is a common problem on LCD monitors after a few years of use. Because of heat buildup in the monitor case parts called capacitors have started to blow out. When they blow they cause the power supply to fail and not provide the correct voltages the unit needs. If you go to our site at :
www.ccl-la.com we have pictures of what the blown capacitors look like. Open the back of your monitor and look for the blown ones. If you can solder then you can do the repair yourself. Unsolder the bad ones and install new ones. You will need Qty 2 1000uf 16volt and qty 3 1000uf 25 volt capacitors.We have a parts kit for $12.00 I will post a step by step repair guide for you on 11/29/09. If you don't want to do the repair yourself we do offer a repair service for $35 plus return shipping. If you have any questions please contact me at below address.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks mate, looks like I'll need to crack the monitor open and do some soldering :thumb:

Reaction score
Actually everytime i've used Bing I thought it was absolute tosh

Usually a fairy easy fix Ian if you have a decent soldering iron :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Actually everytime i've used Bing I thought it was absolute tosh

Usually a fairy easy fix Ian if you have a decent soldering iron :)

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/02/asking-the-right-questions/
Asking the right questions

Tony Robbins says that thinking is a process of asking and answering questions. He stresses the importance of asking the right questions to get the right answers and therefore the right results. I agree with him. Most people ask lousy questions that cripple their results. Lousy questions turn your focus away from what you want and towards more of what you don’t want. And since we ask and answer mental questions every day, our questions wield great power over our results.
Here are some examples of weak questions vs. strong questions:

Upon waking up early

Weak: Can I fall back asleep again? Should I go back to bed?

Strong: What would be the best way to start my day? How can I energize myself? Where can I find something inspirational or motivational to read right now?

When contemplating exercise (and feeling unmotivated)

Weak: Is it too hot/cold to exercise? Can I skip it for today? What difference will it make if I just skip a day? Don’t I deserve a day off?

Strong: Won’t it feel great hitting the showers afterwards? What should I listen to while I workout? Won’t it be wonderful to achieve my fitness goals? How can I make this session more fun?

When considering a dietary improvement
Weak: What foods am I going to have to give up? How am I going to deal with the deprivation? Am I going to have to eat like this forever?
Strong: What foods that I like will I get to eat more of? What new foods can I experiment with? Won’t it be great when I reach my goal weight? Won’t it be wonderful to finally master this area of my life once and for all? Once I succeed at this, who else can I help?

Nearing the end of the workday

Weak: Have I done enough that I can justify quitting for the day? Is this a good time to stop? Can I finish this tomorrow?

Strong: What’s next? How can I complete one more task? How much more can I get done today?

:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One of These would make the job easier, I've used one for years now.

A cheaper option is a roll of de-soldering braid, usually only a couple of quid or less.

And be careful, mind you don't apply too much heat or you'll risk raising the pcb track.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, I also second Bing is a big pile of poo-poo, as is Ask (Jeeves).

Sad to say, but I've yet to encounter a better search engine than Google, I only wish somebody would come up with something better to supply an alternative.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
One of These would make the job easier, I've used one for years now.

A cheaper option is a roll of de-soldering braid, usually only a couple of quid or less.

And be careful, mind you don't apply too much heat or you'll risk raising the pcb track.

Cheers Flops, I think I've got one of the suction things but I've definitely got solder braid in the toolkit. I'm going to crack the LCD open in a little bit and see if I've got the capacitors in. If you don't see me online for a day or two then you can guess the repair didn't work :lol:.

Reaction score
I seem to have a strange problem with my LG monitor (L226WTQ) at the moment. Whenever I turn it on or the monitor comes out of standby, it shows a completely white screen :confused:.

It started a few weeks ago and could be rectified by turning the monitor off then on. Now, it takes about 10 attempts of doing this and seems to be getting worse!

It does this even if the monitor isn't plugged in to the graphics card and I've tried googling for any answers but can't find much.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before or know if it's fixable? The monitor is out of warranty, so it looks like a replacement may be on the cards - but it's perfectly fine for my needs when it works, so I'd rather fix it if possible.

I have the same monitor with the same white screen problem. Did you ever figure out the fix?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, at least I can't remember being able to fix it :(.

Reaction score
8 lb hammer should sort the problem out.:p
But i much prefer the 12lb as it sorts the problem out in a more refined manner!:lol:

Ask a Question