LLU and modem router compatibility

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've received an email from our ISP, informing us that LLU has just become available at the local exchange.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to go for it or not... the base package, which we'd be most likely to choose (up to 12 MB down, 1.4 up) would cost £18.90 (£1 less than we're currently paying for an 8 MB connection. Okay, it's not blisteringly super-speedy, but would meet our needs, being unlimited usage and only 1 month contract.

The next package, just in case anyone is curious, (up to 24 down, 1.4 up) is £26.90... and the next (24 down, 2.5 up) is £37.90.

Set up is totally free on all of them for a limited time.

My main question is whether a new modem router would be necessary? I'm still using our old Netgear 834 v3 wired. It's about 4.5 years old now though.

Ideally, I'd like to get a Netgear DG834v4 Wired ADSL2+ 4 port router. The reason being, I rather like Netgear (had good service from the current one) and, more importantly, I prefer a WIRED router. But would it be compatible with LLU? Would our current one be compatible...?

I have tried Google, but still haven't really found the answers, :blush: everyone keeps pushing wireless...So what do you think guys...?

Thank you for taking a look. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Any ADSL2+ router will be fine TC, even if its wireless you can always disable it. :)

What sort of speeds are you getting on ADSL max at the mo?

Post up your line stats. (Sync Speed, Attenuation and SNR or noise margin)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies - sorry to be a bit late getting back, but got a bit side-tracked with Boxing Day stuff :D

Here are the line stats you requested V_R:
attachment.php
When I did a test (completely forgotten which website now...:blush:) it suggested that we could get a tad under 12 MB... don't know if you would agree with that?

Thanks for the link Me__2001... believe it or not, I spent a while on that forum earlier... knew I remembered seeing a post about the router there... but failed to find it. :thumb:

Attachments

• Router 26 Dec 11.JPG
    Router 26 Dec 11.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 636

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah thats probably not far off to be honest, i'd say 10-12 depending on the quality of your line.

I'd quite happily go with ME_2001's option, i also had a DG834GT before i went to Fibre/VDSL, i was running the DGTeam firmware on it, its a fantastic router and is one of the best for ADSL2+ due to the chipset if i remember correctly (Broadcom?)

They can be had on eBay for next to nothing..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?rt...king_SM&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1539

or Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG8...5UQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324990728&sr=8-1

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice and opinions V_R and ME__2001 :thumb:

Think I'll go ahead and submit the LLU order. Sounds like it's still going to (just) double the speed we currently get and, will be worth it for the unlimited download allowance.

I'm not exactly a heavy downloader, lol, usually manage to stay within our 30 GB monthly allowance.... but the lack of a cap might change that just a wee bit. :D Woo-hoo!!!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm not exactly a heavy downloader, lol, usually manage to stay within our 30 GB monthly allowance.... but the lack of a cap might change that just a wee bit. :D Woo-hoo!!!

My original TalkTalk plan was only 40gig a month, not much of a downloader either as I was always aware I only had 40 gig and once you hit that, TalkTalk limit your download speed. I thought once I wentto unlimited i'd download a lot more, I think I did for the first 2 months, then just went back to normal :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
An update. We've been told that the switch to LLU will happen on 1st Feb, or thereabouts.

I ended up buying a new router from the ISP's computer store, and based on one of James the ISP guy's recommendations, went for the Netgear 300 DGN2200. He very helpfully configured it before sending it out to me, so all I had to do was plug it in and away it went! :)

Wifi was enabled, but right now, we don't actually need to use it - and as mentioned earlier, I kind of prefer to be wired!

So, after logging-in to the router, I went to "wireless settings" and unchecked the boxes beside "Enable this wireless network" and "Enable SSID broadcast."

I didn't alter any of the security options in the area below... although a little info box popped up and said that a better option would be WPA2-PSK (AES) instead of WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) .... I wondered why it was giving me that advice, when I'm not using wifi anyway...? Sorry, but completely clueless on this one.:rolleyes:

Next, I went to "advanced wireless settings" and also unchecked "Enable wireless router radio."

Have I properly switched off all wifi signals do you think? Or is something about to go bang...!

Thanks for reading. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds good, is the wireless light(s) off on the front? :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds good, is the wireless light(s) off on the front? :)
Hi V_R, yes the wireless light is off - sorry I forgot to mention that. I was probably too busy being paranoid about missing a setting somewhere lol. :blush:

Ask a Question