Got Myself a New Router!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thursday i got a new router from a place called DSLDepot. They do B grade stuff and are a part of DSLSource. But you honestly wouldn't know it was a refurb, Hell it even had that new electrical smell!
laughingsmiley.gif

So as advised i decided to get a Speedtouch 585v6. Very highly recommended for a ADSL Line. ;)

The thing came in the box with all the usual gear included that you would get if you bought it new.....The only difference? Price, Get one new and its £53 plus p+p OCUK have one here. I got mine for £20 Plus £4 delivery, yep less than £25 Delivered to you door via courier. :p

The reason? Well, i decided to buy a new because i have been trying to get a bit more speed out of my Internet connection and also my old Netgear DG834 kept dropping out about once a day which seemed to be adversely affecting my BRAS profile not to mention being a right PITA when i playing online games! :(

Got it up and running and instantly it synced up at 4837 give or take (4Meg profile) where the old one would just hit 4500ish (3.5meg profile) Nice! Then had a tweak of the Downstream SNR with DMT and got it up to a stable 5312 which is in the 4.5meg profile. That's two steps up in the BRAS profiling system! :D (Just got to wait for three solid days to move up to the next level, no disconnects, then again to get up to where it should be.)

I have been very impressed right from the start! Not dropped sync since i had it, Running 24/7. Even with a SNRM of between 10db and as low as 3 in the evenings, where my old Netgear would just not be able to hang on that low. So all in all its been well worth the cash.

Next up is a Migration to one of the Entanet resellers like Vivaciti or UKFSN, or as Be Unlimited is available in my exchange i may try them out....Would go with Sky BB if it wasn't for the 12 month contract and complaints of the terrible CS if you need to speak to them. They also want you use their own router (DG834GT) But with a little bit of trickery you can use whatever one you wish. But saying that at £10 for a ADSL2+ LLU up to 16MB (as long as you have Sky TV)....its tempting, even if i would only get about 6-10 on my line via ADSL2+. :)
Wow, i went on a bit then didn't i!?
laughingsmiley.gif

By the way, if you interested in your ISP's rating i suggest you have a look here. You will also see why i want to move away from Nildram now.... :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let it flow my man, let it flow.... :lol:

Glad you're pleased and sorted your probs out :)

Looks like you got yourself a bargain there.

I'm quite happy with my Netgear myself, works flawlessly.

Looked at the link, my ISP, Zen, # 8 out of 39, not bad, but positions based on customer input only, I'm guessing lottsa folks never even heard of Zen.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Flops, :)

Yep, only customer ratings, but in some ways that good, you get a good idea from the people thats use the service i guess.

Nothing wrong with Zen imo, just the price is what i pay now, I can get the same for £20 a month from UKFSN or Vivaciti, its still only a month contract, so can move if i dont like it.
user.gif

Any of the top ten in that list would be a fine i say. :thumb:

Thanks for your input. :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm quite happy with my Netgear myself, works flawlessly.

Hi I see that you were having problems with the Netgear DG834

Well for 3 years I had the Linksys Wag54G which is the Netgear's DG834's biggest competitior.

The Linksys was a very poor router. The signal would drop and streaming would be impossible.

When I left Bulldog I joined sky and they gave me a DG834 for free
but only it is the 108mps version.

I had it for 2 months now, has not dropped out ONCE.
Streaming and copying over files wirelessly is BRILLIANT

My vote goes to Netgear just like Flopps does :)

but glad to hear you have found sucess with your new router

ermm was looking at that isp rating
has anyone even heard of the top 4!!???

Reaction score
V_R, i would hold on till end of March for Enta.

The centrals they have at the moment are heavily overloaded at any time, they're getting a new central end of March which will improve the balancing and increase throughput.

At the moment the speeds can drop to around 2MB when the network is fully packed, for a better idea, visit this URL, refresh it every 15minutes or so if you have the chance, and look at the status of their BT centrals.

http://noc.enta.net

I am too moving to Enta this month, but i'm holding off to initiate a migrate so that the DSL connects the end of March.

EDIT: Attached Screenshot @ 2:06AM

It is Global Switch Central 2 which goes live end of March

Explantion of the status found here http://noc.enta.net/?p=99

Attachments

• central.jpg
    central.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I did read a bit about that Chris, am planning to let the new router sort out my profile before i move so that will be a week or two. should bring me into about that time if i can hang on. :thumb:

Cheers for the link..Bookmarked. :)

If you haven't seen them yet the Enta forums are also worth a look.:) http://community.entachoice.org.uk/forums/

Who you going with? I cant make up my mind, Vivaciti or UKFSN.....Both 30gb on peak/300gb off peak ADSL Max packages are almost the same, at 20 quid a month, bar a couple of little differences.

Be is an outside bet at the mo due to reports of high pings and the fact that when i rang them the guy said i'd only hit 2mbps! My line is almost 4km long Actual length, and 2.79 as the crow flies. which is why they said what they did. But i understand they underestimate when they 'guess' the speed. DSL Zones ADSL2+ checker says ill get 6-10 going by my attenuation of 42db.

Reaction score
Yeah i know of the EntaChoice forums, really good.

Personally i like UKFSN, but i still would go with Vivaciti, think they have more staff than UKFSN.

They all are the same, as Enta deal with support, i still would suggest Vivaciti.

We were meant to be (Be) enabled end of this month, however they pulled out so now we're stuck with general ADSL Max for a bit longer, not that bad however, BT are improving my exchange on the 20th March.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good old BT eh! :rolleyes:

I phoned Vivaciti a few days ago just to see what their CS is like, they were really good, ended up just having a chat with him about this and that! :D

Seems they are the way to go. :thumb:

Ask a Question