To LLU or not to LLU...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
To LLU or not to LLU, that is the question.....;)

Our ISP (re-seller) has recently hooked-up with a provider, so that they can offer LLU adsl connections to those who have Exchanges which support it. I have this option.

My question is, if your connection is via LLU, what do you think of it? An improvement? Is it stable and reliable? Or do you get frequent (or infrequent) hiccups with it please?

I do understand that much will depend upon individual circumstances, such as distance between Exchange and home; what condition the "home-end" of the wiring/connections are like, etc., plus cost and contracts. But would most of you jump at the idea of LLU, or stick to "good ol' BT's wiring?"

Those going for the LLU option, are being offered 24/7 uncapped usage and a Dynamic IP (mine is currently Static.) There is "no restrictive contention" on the new LLU services. No peak time restrictions either. It is also said to be speedier.

Any views please guys?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm using O2's LLU package, and I'm really pleased with it :) There have been a couple of hiccups with their DNS servers a while ago (just for a day), but I'm very pleased with their service overall. It's a bargain at £7.50/month and they have an 0800 support number (it rang a couple of times and some picked up, without any "press 1 if you want to..." stuff).

If I hadn't gone for the LLU, I'd be on something much slower and more expensive - so yes, I'm pleased :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Your 'my example' linky no work for me Mucks - I just get the page to check my own postcode.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh bugger ...

Adywebb said:
Your 'my example' linky no work for me Mucks - I just get the page to check my own postcode.
ah, thought that would happen ... pop in your own post code.

It'll tell you what your line speed is, which as you is probably aware, matters the most. My line, unless they rip it up & replace it, or I move closer, will probably never change, no matter what "equipment" they stick in the exchange.

Although, I should get a "better deal" if I shop around. :D

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I done that test Mucks.

Max speed for me is 5Mb.

It listed 02 as my best deal: 12 month contract, 1st three months free and therafter £9.72 a month.

I haven't checked out transfer/termination fees, how long it would take to setup; web space and e-mail addresses available.

I'm sorely tempted tbh, but will have to investigate further. I had considered 02 as an ISP before.

And all my business stationery has the zen e-mail address on it, so that would take some sorting.

Anybody know how much about 5Gb of web space would cost to rent a month?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, not wanting to go too far off topic, but BT will charge you £5 a month for 5GB ... and a bandwidth of 48GB, need to keep an eye on that bit. :D

Watch out for "resellers" who retain YOUR domain name. ;)

:user:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just done the test on my own line Mucks - says my line supports up to 3Mb and BT as the best deal.

However although it says my line supports up to 3Mb, my router says I'm getting 5.12Mb and Speedtest says 4.3Mb - so I seem to be doing pretty well with Zen :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of LLU before (we're on topic now ;) ).

That's what I'm getting with Zen. Thanks for the info on the web space Mucks, I suppose it may pay to shop around but if I went with 02 and rented 5Gb of web space a month (I have 2Gb with Zen atm) I'd still be saving a tenner a month.

I'd also have to check out their bandwidth allowance, Zen allow me 28Gb a month for the £24.46 monthly charge.

And on this 12th day of the calendar month I have used 8Gb so far.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I hadn't heard of LLU before (we're on topic now ;) ).
I've heard of LULU
Does that count?:p

PS: I'm in a silly mood for some reason!
happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The test thingy says that the line can support up to 4Mb but, I mostly get more than that. It will be an ADSL2+ service (via wholesalers "Be" I think.)

Currently, we get an allowance of 30 GB per month (300 GB off peak) for about £18. The new ADSL2+ LLU packages (which I think will be via wholesalers "Be") offer unlimited usage, low contention and "the ability to tweak your SNR profile and interleaving instantly through the online control panel" .... er, whatever that is ;) No throttling at any time. Support is UK based (01457 number,) also, you can raise a ticket, or post a question/comment in their dedicated forum.

I have been with them for just over 18 months now (ADSL24) and like them a lot more than the bigger providers, where customer care is a lot more impersonal sometimes.

muckshifter

Reaction score
sorry, I forgot about ADSL2+

But I ain't holding my breath. ;)

471885056.png

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So I figured swap my mobile sim card for an 02 one, same deal as current but £5.00 cheaper, then get standard 02 broadband package at £7.34 a month works out less than £23.00 a month for both broadband and mobile.

Only thing I'd miss would be some web space.

So I went through the motions of signing up, though was still going to think about it, and done their availilability test.

"We are sorry but 02 broadband service is not available in your area".

What? I'm about a mile from the main exchange and the 02 Dome is just round the corner :confused:

Oh well, looks like I'll be sticking with Virgin mobile simcard-only and Zen for the time being then.

Ask a Question