License key for home network

Leythos

| Now that you've spouted again, it does not indicate ANYWHERE in the above
| that any user is entitled to INSTALL a unlicensed copy of the software for
| use at any time.
|
| So, now that you've proven MS's point, that you are not legally entitled
| to install more copies that you have licenses for, what podium are you
| going to preach at now?

The EULA says one cannot install on more than one machine. If one does so
and MS finds out, they would have to take one to court to enforce, now
wouldn't they? And, as Kurtis as pointed out many times, MS doesn't have the
balls to take a private person to court. Until then, the EULA is just a
bunch of hot air.

Yea, we all know his old rant, and he just invalidated it with his post
above mine. He posted it, it was clear that what he posted of the title,
means one can not make copies for "additional" use of software, only as a
backup in case of loss.
Personally, I feel that people who copy XP for financial gain are pirates.
Those who do it for personal use are not. YMMV. Personally, I don't install
anything but legal software and abide by the EULA because I use the software
for financial gain.

I cover all our bases with licenses - there are many programs that MS
offers to allow businesses to purchase reduced cost licenses.

Alias

| On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:24:47 +0100, Alias wrote:

| > |
| > | Now that you've spouted again, it does not indicate ANYWHERE in the
above
| > | that any user is entitled to INSTALL a unlicensed copy of the software
for
| > | use at any time.
| > |
| > | So, now that you've proven MS's point, that you are not legally
entitled
| > | to install more copies that you have licenses for, what podium are you
| > | going to preach at now?
| >
| > The EULA says one cannot install on more than one machine. If one does
so
| > and MS finds out, they would have to take one to court to enforce, now
| > wouldn't they? And, as Kurtis as pointed out many times, MS doesn't have
the
| > balls to take a private person to court. Until then, the EULA is just a
| > bunch of hot air.
|
| Yea, we all know his old rant, and he just invalidated it with his post
| above mine. He posted it, it was clear that what he posted of the title,
| means one can not make copies for "additional" use of software, only as a
| backup in case of loss.
|
| > Personally, I feel that people who copy XP for financial gain are
pirates.
| > Those who do it for personal use are not. YMMV. Personally, I don't
install
| > anything but legal software and abide by the EULA because I use the
software
| > for financial gain.
|
| I cover all our bases with licenses - there are many programs that MS
| offers to allow businesses to purchase reduced cost licenses.
|
| --
| (e-mail address removed)

I have a grand total of two computers for my business so bulk licences won't
help. Fortunately, I only paid for OEMs, which go for 105.04 EUR for XP Pro.
In dollars, at today's currency exchange rates, that's $136.87. And, believe
it or don't, hardware need not be purchased and I have installed one on an
old HP I bought in 2000 and it activated online with no problem. I put the
other on this computer which I built myself and the OEM was the first and
only OS. Would you say what I did was unethical, illegal or otherwise a bad
thing to do? My kid has a brand new computer I built and I put an XP Home
OEM on it and, lo and behold, it activated with no problems either. It cost
me 63.80 EUR or $83.16.

There is one place where one can buy a retail version of XP Home and it goes
for 293.55 EUR or $383. If you think I would pay that much, think again, as
it would be stupid on my part. And, they don't offer XP Pro. At those
prices, I shudder to think how much they would charge for Pro.

Alias

|| On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:24:47 +0100, Alias wrote:

|| > |
| above
| for
|| > |
| entitled
|| >
|| > The EULA says one cannot install on more than one machine. If one does
| so
|| > and MS finds out, they would have to take one to court to enforce, now
|| > wouldn't they? And, as Kurtis as pointed out many times, MS doesn't
have
| the
|| > balls to take a private person to court. Until then, the EULA is just a
|| > bunch of hot air.
|| Yea, we all know his old rant, and he just invalidated it with his post
|| above mine. He posted it, it was clear that what he posted of the title,
|| means one can not make copies for "additional" use of software, only as a
|| backup in case of loss.
|| > Personally, I feel that people who copy XP for financial gain are
| pirates.
|| > Those who do it for personal use are not. YMMV. Personally, I don't
| install
|| > anything but legal software and abide by the EULA because I use the
| software
|| > for financial gain.
|| I cover all our bases with licenses - there are many programs that MS
|| offers to allow businesses to purchase reduced cost licenses.
|| --
|| (e-mail address removed)
|
| I have a grand total of two computers for my business so bulk licences
won't
| help. Fortunately, I only paid for OEMs, which go for 105.04 EUR for XP
Pro.
| In dollars, at today's currency exchange rates, that's $136.87. And,
believe
| it or don't, hardware need not be purchased and I have installed one on an
| old HP I bought in 2000 and it activated online with no problem. I put the
| other on this computer which I built myself and the OEM was the first and
| only OS. Would you say what I did was unethical, illegal or otherwise a
bad
| thing to do? My kid has a brand new computer I built and I put an XP Home
| OEM on it and, lo and behold, it activated with no problems either. It
cost
| me 63.80 EUR or $83.16.

I forgot to add VAT here. Home is 80.43 EUR or $104.83 and Pro is 121.85
EUR or $158.82

| There is one place where one can buy a retail version of XP Home and it
goes
| for 293.55 EUR or $383. If you think I would pay that much, think again,
as
| it would be stupid on my part. And, they don't offer XP Pro. At those
| prices, I shudder to think how much they would charge for Pro.
| --
| Alias
|
| Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
| Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Alias

Yes to what?
--
Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yes.

Leythos

[...]

I have 14 workstations, several laptops, and more than a dozen servers
running Windows OS's, and that's just in my home office. I found and
joined as a MS Partner (anyone can) and purchased the "Action Pack" which
includes production licenses for most of what any office would need - the
action pack was about $300 (includes 10 licenses for XP Prof and Office
2003 and servers), and renews for about $200 each year. I also joined the
ISV program since we write MS based applications, this cost $400 and
provides 5 MSDN Universal licenses for development use.

Before those programs I had spent almost $60k on licenses, but that was
because I didn't contact MS to see what licensing options were available.

I also (from this workstation) run a couple Linux systems that I'm looking
at for small clients - where they have less than 10 workstations and need
a single server.

In my line of work I've had to refuse to fix peoples servers and
workstations because the software was obviously pirated, and I've walked
away from a couple jobs because of it. At the same time I've been able to
make use of the OEM licensing program to get deep discounts for clients
that want to do it the "right" way.

I disagree with pirating software, even for home use, but the real big
bitch is when people claim it's their right. If they would just keep their
mouths shut, not try and justify it (since it's not justified), not try
and seek validation from other pirates, we would not have to deal with
their crap (or most of the long thread in this group).

Leythos

| I have 14 workstations, several laptops, and more than a dozen servers
| running Windows OS's, and that's just in my home office. I found and
| joined as a MS Partner (anyone can) and purchased the "Action Pack" which
| includes production licenses for most of what any office would need - the
| action pack was about $300 (includes 10 licenses for XP Prof and Office
| 2003 and servers), and renews for about $200 each year. I also joined the
| ISV program since we write MS based applications, this cost $400 and
| provides 5 MSDN Universal licenses for development use.
|
| Before those programs I had spent almost $60k on licenses, but that was
| because I didn't contact MS to see what licensing options were available.
|
| I also (from this workstation) run a couple Linux systems that I'm looking
| at for small clients - where they have less than 10 workstations and need
| a single server.
|
| In my line of work I've had to refuse to fix peoples servers and
| workstations because the software was obviously pirated, and I've walked
| away from a couple jobs because of it. At the same time I've been able to
| make use of the OEM licensing program to get deep discounts for clients
| that want to do it the "right" way.
|
| I disagree with pirating software, even for home use, but the real big
| bitch is when people claim it's their right. If they would just keep their
| mouths shut, not try and justify it (since it's not justified), not try
| and seek validation from other pirates, we would not have to deal with
| their crap (or most of the long thread in this group).

But I don't need that many licences.

Yes, but, purchasing the Action Pack is cheaper than any one license.

Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Would you say what I did was unethical, illegal or otherwise a
bad
thing to do?

When one considers that one can buy an XP OEM legally in Spain without
hardware, how do you figure?

Alias

> [...]

the
| > | action pack was about $300 (includes 10 licenses for XP Prof and
Office
| > | 2003 and servers), and renews for about $200 each year. I also joined
the
| > | ISV program since we write MS based applications, this cost $400 and
| > | provides 5 MSDN Universal licenses for development use.
| > |
| > | Before those programs I had spent almost $60k on licenses, but that
was
| > | because I didn't contact MS to see what licensing options were
available.
| > |
| > | I also (from this workstation) run a couple Linux systems that I'm
looking
| > | at for small clients - where they have less than 10 workstations and
| > |
| > | In my line of work I've had to refuse to fix peoples servers and
| > | workstations because the software was obviously pirated, and I've
walked
| > | away from a couple jobs because of it. At the same time I've been able
| > | make use of the OEM licensing program to get deep discounts for
clients
| > | that want to do it the "right" way.
| > |
| > | I disagree with pirating software, even for home use, but the real big
| > | bitch is when people claim it's their right. If they would just keep
their
| > | mouths shut, not try and justify it (since it's not justified), not
try
| > | and seek validation from other pirates, we would not have to deal with
| > | their crap (or most of the long thread in this group).
| >
| > But I don't need that many licences.
|
| Yes, but, purchasing the Action Pack is cheaper than any one license.

Where did you learn math? Here are the figures again with VAT:

Home is 80.43 EUR or $104.83 and Pro is 121.85 EUR or $158.82

Last I checked, $300 is more than $158.82.

David Candy

Where does it say that. In real countries there is a license between MS and OEM and between OEM and Consumer.

Leythos

| > But I don't need that many licences.
|
| Yes, but, purchasing the Action Pack is cheaper than any one license.

Where did you learn math? Here are the figures again with VAT:

Home is 80.43 EUR or $104.83 and Pro is 121.85 EUR or $158.82

Last I checked, $300 is more than $158.82.

Yea, sorry, I was thinking of Retail, not OEM.

Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Where does it say that. In real countries there is a license between MS and
OEM and between OEM and Consumer. <<<<<<

"Real countries"? Are you saying that Spain isn't a "real country"? Just
because your country doesn't allow consumers to by OEMs doesn't mean that
all countries do that.

Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
So why do they sell retail in your genocidal country. <<<

I have no idea. I guess for people like you and for people who may someday
want to move their OS to another computer. In any event, what I did is not
illegal. "Genocidal"?

David Candy

Spainish people genocided South Americia. Anyone knows to be colonised by anyone but the spanish. But as you were has beens by 1800 we don't have any anti spanish forts. We started building forts to defend against Americia (after Cmmdr Perry visited).

Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Spainish people genocided South Americia. Anyone knows to be colonised by
anyone but the spanish. But as you were has beens by 1800 we don't have any
anti spanish forts. We started building forts to defend against Americia
(after Cmmdr Perry visited).<<<<<<<<

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with now or with whether or not it
is legal for me to buy OEM versions of XP and install them on the whatever
computer the mood strikes me to install them on? The USA is genocidal NOW
what with Bush dropping WMDs on the heads of innocent Iraqi citizens with
Australia's (your country) blessings. Australia's history with the
aborigines isn't exactly the tale of a nice walk in the park, hand in hand.

I have yet to find one store in all of Spain that sells XP Pro retail in
Spanish and, well, I want it in English, so I went to a store that carries
OEMs in Spanish, English and German.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Alias said:
I have yet to find one store in all of Spain that sells XP Pro
retail in Spanish and, well, I want it in English, so I went
to a store that carries OEMs in Spanish, English and German.
Hi

Here is a English reseller that ships to Spain (English retail
versions):

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition EUR 229.78 (approx.)
http://www.softwarebuyer.co.uk/pd_windows_xp_home_edition.cfm

Microsoft Windows XP Professional EUR 287.62 (approx.)
http://www.softwarebuyer.co.uk/pd_windows.cfm

kurttrail

Leythos said:
Now that you've spouted again, it does not indicate ANYWHERE in the
above that any user is entitled to INSTALL a unlicensed copy of the
software for use at any time.

So, now that you've proven MS's point, that you are not legally
entitled to install more copies that you have licenses for, what
podium are you going to preach at now?

Where does it say that?

--
Peace!