Flops' Friday mini blog

Reaction score
:thumb:Hi flopsy glad the tongue business seems to have resolved its self, sorry to hear about the other medical problems possibly with the heart and blood pressure. I have just had a 24 hr monitor on my blood pressure and the result is that I have over the 24 hour test a high average BP so back to see the Quack. I have been having head aches which I have been putting down to my glasses but it seems now down to PB.

The turntable looks great I wish I had your patience shame about the arm collapsing on you but no doubt you will fix it. Cannot help with the paint job but there will be a solution out there especialy with the sugestions of other members above anyway good luck hunting:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's not my turntable Mr Boot, tis just a picture I grabbed to illustrate the colour I want mine to be. Good luck with your blood pressure.

My 'ex-cousin-in-law' Elaine's dad just died from a heart attack and more sadly an old friend from my Rock Disco days, Andy, just died from a heart attack as well, came right out the blue, Andy was a seriously nice fella, bit of a shock. I'll be going to his funeral soon I expect. Andy was 57 years old.

Here's a couple of pix of my first turntable in it's new slate plinth.

The plinth is basically four 20mm layers of slate cut to shape from a plywood template I made from original turntable base. First, the plywood base the 4 layers were made from:

8068d1337727833-flops-friday-mini-blog-009-plywoodtemplate.jpg

And a few pix of slate plinth.

8065d1337727182-flops-friday-mini-blog-012-slate003.jpg

8066d1337727221-flops-friday-mini-blog-014-slate005.jpg

8067d1337727265-flops-friday-mini-blog-018-rhcp004.jpg

I will respray the deck eventually, as it's scratched (as you can see from pix).

The idea of using slate for a base is to make as heavy a base as possible to isolate turntable from any vibration, hence also paving slab on top of platform which turntable is on. Also used a set of adjustable spike feet from CPC/Farnell which as well as further isolation also allow level adjustment so that my turntable is completely level E - W & N - S.

And the two double vinyl albums featured in pix are The Autumn Stone by The Small Faces and By The Way by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Attachments

• 012 slate003.jpg
    012 slate003.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 014 slate005.jpg
    014 slate005.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 018 rhcp004.jpg
    018 rhcp004.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 009 plywoodtemplate.jpg
    009 plywoodtemplate.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 275

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And one more, this shows spiky turned metal feet, twenty quid a set

8069d1337728486-flops-friday-mini-blog-010-slate001.jpg

Also think it's funny peeps think I'm ok cos tongue no longer hurts. Of course I'm ok, biopsy could still show cancer and heart prob could have me pushing up daisies tomorrow, lol

Not really too worried, bit of a shame if I do shuffle off this mortal coil cos basically enjoying life a great deal, despite no woman. Still, had some good times along the way I suppose :)

But hey - let me be optimistic, I am going to live forever and Francoise Hardy and Emmylou Harris are queuing up to date me ;)

Attachments

• 010 slate001.jpg
    010 slate001.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 261

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
On my screen this colour looks pretty close to the one you're seeking.... but it might look different on yours, of course... anyhoo, thought I'd just add my five penn'orth. :D

Wow! Your slate plinth looks very impressive, super choice. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Would have added this to my post last night... had I not been half-asleep, following a busy evening of GW battling... so sleepy in fact, that I forgot to add the link, :blush: here it is:

http://www.littlegreene.com/drizzle

Glad to hear the pain has suvbsided in your tongue at long-last. That's probably quite a relief in itself, although I can understand that you're not ready to jump up and down with glee, until you've heard your biopsy results. I hope you'll receive them soon - and that the news will be good! Waiting is one of the worst bits imho. There is so much time for the imagination to examine every conceivable outcome.... heck it's no wonder your BP was elevated! So much anxiety and stress will do that to folk.........

.....And so will, not taking your meds! Sir Floppington, that really isn't cricket is it! (It's boot-imprint-on-botty time, methinks!) Having said that... Mr TC was diagnosed with a heart prob back in 2003. We both found the news a bit stunning, tbh. Throughout his life he had rarely needed medication, when suddenly, he was prescribed a whole barrage of colourful pills; initially, they included a daily aspirin, but after a few months, the doctor advised a switch to Warfarin. It all seemed very daunting at the time, but, as his doctor (and yours) explained, it was necessary to protect against some of the nasties such as stroke, etc. It puts a whole new meaning on getting your "Five A Day" though doesn't it.

Hope your doctor's appointment will go okay. Wishing you all the very best for that. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC: Thanks for the link but that's for pots of paint, not aerosol sprays, which is what I need. That colour is perfect though, wonder how much a spray gun is?

Abarb's link for the fridge paint replied to my request for a colour and they said there's a colour sample given at the bottom of the page. Maybe I'm going bonkers but I can't see it, so I've messaged them again pointing this out. If I could just see the actual shade, looks to be ideal.

Saw the Doc this morning and he viewed the ECG chart as nothing to worry about, said it was what he expected if I had high blood pressure through not taking my meds. So, in short, I have to get BP down and taking meds daily should eventually do that. He's also ordered an ultrasound heart scan which has a 4 week waiting list and I have to go back and see him in 5 weeks, after test.

Whilst we spoke he said that a left side ventricular abnormality could also be an indication of cancer somewhere in the body but it was 'highly unlikely' that was the case with me. I didn't really want to know that, be quiet Mr Doc, you are unsettling this poor boy. He was pleased with how my tongue had healed but thought there was still one stitch left in place but it would eventually dissolve away.

I hadn't had any serious medical problems all my life until the start of 2002 when cellulitis on my leg made itself known followed by heart failure a few months later. I've chronicled this before but at the time I'd lost everything that was important to me and deep anxiety is the direct sponsor of bad physical health. So you all keep a good state of mind out there, you hear? ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
GRduH.jpg

Hey you got a deck just like mine.
th_banana_smiley_14.gif

Try my second link as they do cans to order of your colour choice.
breakfast.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
GRduH.jpg

Hey you got a deck just like mine.
th_banana_smiley_14.gif

Try my second link as they do cans to order of your colour choice.
breakfast.gif

Ah, the Leak variation - fetched from the attic?

Your second link is for car spray paints (cellulose not suitable for me) plus they need the car make, year, paint colour and number but thanks anyway.

So, still no luck with my paint search but all help is apreciated. How hard is it to find an aerosol tin of light green gloss?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Pretty much given up on finding a gloss aerosol pastel green paint, have been searching extensively this evening :(

Found this chart which confirmed pastel green is the colour I'm looking for:

RAL 6019 - Pastel Green

And here's my deck, arm lifting mechanism removed, holes filled with metal filler, fascia masked with masking tape, rubbed down and primered, ready for top coats.

8071d1337806788-flops-friday-mini-blog-maskingtape.jpg

Might just have to go for Royal Blue, who would have thought a single type of paint so hard to find?

Attachments

• maskingtape.jpg
    maskingtape.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 266

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've found a spray paint which is said to be "suitable for outdoor and indoor use... can be used on metal, glass, stone, plastic, etc..." It also comes in a colour that's pretty close to your desired pastel green (called "venom" please see thumbnail below.)

There's a "but" which is, to achieve a glossy finish ,you need to use a final coat of transparency lacquer...it's also 100% weatherproof btw. Not sure if that's going to be a put-off for you(?)

The reason for giving you all this blurb, is because the link is going to take you to an art supplies site. So thought I'd tell you the important bits first, in case you thought, "oh-oh... dummy-TC thinks I want to paint pictures now!!" :D

Anyway, if you still want to take a look: ArtiFolk and the complete colour chart and choice of spray nozzles are in this .pdf link:

Attachments

• Venom.JPG
    Venom.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 109

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the link TC, I've bookmarked that. But the people on Ebay in Abarb's first link finally got back to me with a colour sample and I've ordered a can of that and a can of Satin black from them now and as I type I note both have been despatched.

So, just waiting now.

I've also sourced a tone arm from a member of the audio forum I frequent, should have actually been here today by 13:00 but hasn't shown yet. Being delivered Royal Mail Special Delivery. Hurrumph.

Odd thing is, a valve headphone amp I ordered from China just six days ago (4 working days) did show up today. Makes ya wonder, lol

Thanks again for the time you've taken TC, apreciated :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Pleasure Flopps. :) Abarb's Ebay company is sounding good, glad to hear they were able to meet your needs and get it despatched so quickly. Really looking forward to seeing the finished turntable.

Keeping fingers crossed that Royal Mail will use one of its faster ponies, (such as the one which delivered your order from China) not the poor old broken-winded pit-nag they usually bring out of retirement for "express" mail. (It took him four days recently, to deliver a next-day item to us...):D

Actually, Abarb's photos have reminded me that we have a couple of turntables lurking in our loft too! One is a Marconi, the other is a Panasonic. Both used to sound good, for playing vinyl or listening to their built-in radios (via fairly sizeable speakers, as was the trend back then. They're about 40 and 20 yrs old respectively.... almost antiques!! lol) We always hung onto them in hope that we might, one day, move to a slightly larger house... but that's not very likely, methinks.

Very glad to hear your Doc thought the ECG results were nothing to worry about. Hope all goes well for your forthcoming ultrasound. Isn't it a pain that they don't offer immediate results, but make you wait a further 5 weeks. Bummer.

All the best. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Glad you found yer paint.Now all you have to do is spray with no orangepeel.
harhar.gif

Rooting for you for the biopsy report :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Still no biopsy report, five weeks on Monday. Hopefully no news is good news, I dunno.

Spraying turntable was not going well, looked mottled and matt. Then rubbed down lightly with wet & dry, gave three more coats and it's starting to look quite ok. Now glossy and fairly smooth. As I have now finished spraying wood plinth and have acquired a tonearm for the deck, I'm going to start assembling it shortly, I want to know what it sounds like. If in the future I decide a respray is in order then I'll go for it but for now I want some sort of closure.

I haven't been to a theme park for two years now, damn, I need a partner so I can go cos twin kiddos are both too busy now to take mr old fartus floppus. However, Lucy e-mailed saying 'how about going in September?'. Yay! Lurrve that SAW ride.

Finished the Alan Wake game on PC today, thassa good game, will probably buy the 'Alan Wake Nightmare' expansion pack. It did have some very hard moments but I persevered, kudos to developers for making something different.

Had a good day today, mostly on my own, strolling about the place. First thing central Greenwich, bought wine and milk and scowled at charity muggers. Then bus to Blackheath, visited daughter who works at pub there and gave her her mail. Strolled round village, figured it hasn't actually changed much since I was a kid but there are more art gallery shops. These shops actually stocked some real good stuff at reasonable prices, that was refreshing to see. Only painting I fancied though cost £325. Uh, nope.

And that's something I'm going to do - make picture frames. I may have said this before, forgive me if I have, but I figure making frames could earn me a few bob cos frame shops charge a fortune for very basic made to measure picture frames. Wood, hardboard, 4 clamps, glue and glass cut to size = frame. How hard is that?

Then I visited market and bought seven vinyl albums, most good and a couple not so good. Oh well, can't win 'em all. It's the Jubilee long weekend, means nothing to me but folks seem happy. It's the Equestrian Olympics in Greenwich soon, pain in the rump tbh, lol And we're a Royal Borough now you know, and that, to me, is another pain in the rump. Ok, so Henry VIII liked to drop off here sometimes but Royal? Get outta here, this is Sarf East Lunnun mate, not poxy Knightsbridge & Kensington.

Tomorrow I have a little work to do and this weekend is the Hope Festival which in the past I have attended but I can't be bothered anymore, same old performers (good though they are) and I think I'm almost too old for tents now. It's not warm and it's raining on and off so I do hope that doesn't put the mockers on it for those who go. It used to be held at a place just outside Rye, Sussex, but is now held near Biggin Hill.

And finally, update on me plantz, these pix taken on 25th May. In February some were looking very sorry for themselves, didn't think some would survive but the use of some bug spray, pruning and a little care seemed to ensure that come Springtime they would bloom, very happy the way they've recovered:

0050.jpg

0051.jpg

0052.jpg

0053.jpg

0054.jpg

0056.jpg

0057.jpg

0059.jpg

0060.jpg

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gosh they're keeping you waiting for those results, aren't they. Five weeks must be feeling like an age to you. Hope you'll get them soon and of course, it goes without saying, that we hope the news will be good. :nod:

Who is turning into a proper Percy Thrower then? (Okay, Alan Titchmarsh for anyone too young to remember that other gardening guru! :p) Seriously though, your plants are looking really good and very healthy. They enhance your balcony such a lot, it looks like an inviting spot to sit with a cuppa and a good book.

Have you ever tried that plant food called "Miracle Grow?" TBH, I ignored it for ages, thinking that the name was a bit naff, lol. But one day I relented and bought a small bottle, to try out on some houseplants. It seemed to live-up to its name, because the plants responded to it quite quickly and looked great.

I like your idea about making picture frames Flopps. IMHO since practically everyone now owns a camera of some kind, there is quite a demand for decent-looking frames, (which don't cost the earth.) How will you cut-out that little "recess" that the glass sits in? Chisel? Router?

Hope you enjoy the sound of your new turntable, when you fire it up for the first time. :thumb:

Reaction score
Love the pictures flops especially the boots (shame you couldn't use the purple DM's they would look good). We will have call you Mr Greenfingers after those photo's. They are taking a time about the results my thinking that if there was anything wrong they would have called you by now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
boots, they are the purple DM's, lol The very ones I trudged through the mud of Glastonbury '07 in. When the uppers split I couldn't throw them away - I'd seen Amy Winehouse and John Fogerty wearing those boots, so flowerpots they became.

And thanks for reply TC :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not good news I'm afraid. Over seven weeks since op and still no biopsy result. Then yesterday I get a letter from consultant, a copy of a letter he sent to my gp where he seems unaware that I've had the op and he says 'I'm sure the sore tongue is traumatic but I will excise it in due course'. Uh-oh. Admin cockup methinks which may explain why I've had no follow up appointment or biopsy result.

The tongue incision had healed nicely but then about three weeks ago another swelling started, next to the incision. It has grown bigger towards the centre of my tongue and is now very painful. Exactly the same symptoms that started previously in March. I saw the doc yesterday and first asked him if he'd had biopsy result to which he replied no. He phoned hospital and left a message on their answerphone.

I then told doc swelling was back, he took a look and his body language was not good. He said it was completely a case for the consultant and was going to write him a letter. On the positive side he said the swelling was soft and cancer is usually hard and cancer would not usually grow as quickly as my swelling, he said it usually took months. However, suppose it was cancer, it was cut out but a small part remained, would it not start growing again?

As my immune system is shot in my mouth area I suppose it could be some of kind of infection or ulcer that started growing again, I wondered whether it might not have been a good idea to have been given a course of antibiotics following the op. But I'm no medical person so what I think is just guesswork.

Then at 16:30 yesterday doc's receptionist phones and says I have an appointment at Guys Hospital at 11:30 Friday 29th June so I'm thinking they must think it's serious to get an appointment that quick. I am very scared, if it is cancer I figure the least that will happen is I'll lose my tongue, the worst that will happen is the cancer will have spread, they can't treat it with radiotherapy as that area of my mouth is weakened through previous radiotherpay and I will eventually die, and probably not in a very pleasant way. That's why I'm scared.

There's always the easy way out I suppose but I have not a clue which medication would do the trick and although I'm six floors up I don't think I'd have the nerve to do that. Still, they say that cancer victim's final days are usually spent in hospital morphined up to the eyeballs in some sort of oblivion and unaware.

Still, I guess I'll have a clearer picture come the 29th, I can only hope that the biopsy result showed no cancer and this ailment is something else. A somewhat forlorn hope but the only one I have. Eight long days to wait.

On top of that I have a heart scan at Canary Wharf on Saturday, life sure is peachy eh?

My two best friends: saw Roy at the pub last night, he has a wasted shoulder and can hardly move one of his arms. An MRI scan shows he has a swollen vertebrae and will probably need surgery where he's been told there will be a risk of permanent paralysis.

Johnny was taken back into hospital 2 days ago after suffering a blockage to his colostomy bag after surgery for colon cancer. I don't know what's going on with him atm.

So that's the three of us then, the three wise monkeys indeed, what a sorry trio, lol

Tonight all 3 daughters are visting at 19:00 to take me out for a drink for Fathers Day, I assume they must all have had reasons to visit London, apart from Faye of course who lives just a few miles away. This is almost like an omen or something - last supper?

Also, my ex mother-in-law, who I like a great deal, has almost completely lost the plot from Alzheimers. Her children have sold her house and bought a four bedroomed house nearer one of the sisters and moved her in there. One nephew lives with her there permanently now and each family of her children take turns to stay there for a week with her to look after her. Apart from her brain she's healthy so may yet live for some considerable time whereas death may possibly be a blessing. Apparently she can be quite verbally abusive and I'm told she just isn't herself anymore.

My mum is going much the same way though she is still managing to cope ok living on her own but my sister, who visits her regularly, tells me it's only a matter of time before she may have to move into a home.

Getting older is so much fun eh? :)

I was going to buy an Apple 3 phone on Ebay cos I don't like my HTC Wildfire but I thought if I won't be able to talk soon I best wait and see what happens otherwise it will be a waste of money. Got to think practical ;)

So, that's my life atm, all around me outside is the hustle and bustle of the forthcoming Equestrian Olympic events and the council has found money to do a million repairs and improvements around the town centre. No more cracked pavements and all the post boxes have had a new coat of bright red paint. S'funny how they find the money when they need to eh? Be well folks :)

Ask a Question