Word Embedded pdf file in MS Word - truncated title / caption

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully someone can help me here. I have seen similar posts but these are several years old now and do not fully answer my query.
I am using Word 2010 and I have to update a file written by a colleague who has now left the company. In it I have to update an embedded pdf file. This I can do via a couple of methods such as INSERT \ OBJECT \ CREATE FROM FILE \ BROWSE TO FILE \ SHOW AS ICON etc. or via a copy and paste special in a similar manner.

However each time this gives me a pdf icon with two lines of text below and as the title is quite long the text is truncated. In the past I have lived with this and just shortened the title or added a text box to the icon and grouped the two together.
Just dragging the corners of the box does not work, the image and text just become distorted.

However in the document I have to update it seems my colleague who wrote it managed to insert the pdf and show one complete line of text beneath the icon. See figures 01 & 02 below.

01 - Original embedded pdf.PNG
fig 01

In fact if I alter the length of the title in his version the box automatically resizes to accommodate it.
02 - New embedded pdf.PNG
fig 02

The only difference I can find between the two is that the original icon, when you right click on it has the option which describes it as a PACKAGER SHELL OBJECT OBJECT - see below:
03 - Original embedded pdf - Packager Shell Object.PNG
fig 03

The new embedded pdf has the slightly different option of ACROBAT DOCUMENT OBJECT - see below
04 - New embedded pdf - Acrobat Document Object.PNG
fig 04

With that said I have also tried inserting as a "Package" under the insert object option. This changes the drop down menu to match, ie: PACKAGER SHELL OBJECT OBJECT but I still have the small rectangle and the truncated text.

There appears to be no other difference between the two otherwise. Both when clicked on anywhere within the rectangles open up the pdf file.

Obviously there is a way to do this as the proof is already there in the document but I would really appreciate someone explaining to me how to do it. I have to say it has stumped everyone in our office so far.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I now have an answer to this problem of mine.
To insert the pdf, do as normal...INSERT \ OBJECT \ but this time on the tab "Create New" scroll down to "Package" and select package then press OK - Do Not Tick the "Display as Icon" button.
Next step is to just browse to your desired file and finish and the file is inserted with the Icon (in this case a pdf icon) and all of the title / caption is displayed on one line beneath it, not truncated.
Totally unintuitive as what you want is an icon displayed in your document but you do not select this option...who knew!!!
For a more thorough explanation with pictures check the following:
http://blogs.technicise.com/tag/how-to-insert-an-embedded-object-in-microsoft-office-word-2007/

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I now have an answer to this problem of mine.
To insert the pdf, do as normal...INSERT \ OBJECT \ but this time on the tab "Create New" scroll down to "Package" and select package then press OK - Do Not Tick the "Display as Icon" button.
Next step is to just browse to your desired file and finish and the file is inserted with the Icon (in this case a pdf icon) and all of the title / caption is displayed on one line beneath it, not truncated.
Totally unintuitive as what you want is an icon displayed in your document but you do not select this option...who knew!!!
For a more thorough explanation with pictures check the following:
http://blogs.technicise.com/tag/how-to-insert-an-embedded-object-in-microsoft-office-word-2007/

I found another way to do this - right click on the PDF file in File Explorer, drag it to the document location where you want to embed it, a dialogue box will pop up, choose the "Copy here" option. The entire file name will display in the embedded icon.

Since the document where I'm inserting PDF's is in list format and because I have to insert many PDF's I've found it easier to drag and drop all of my PDF files to a blank Word document, then cut and paste them (left click and drag and drop) into my Word document. The result is the same, full file name in the icon, and I find it doesn't mess up the list formatting.

Ask a Question