Save as PDF in Office

Reaction score
In ACCESS or WORD 2003, using WIN 7, you can SAVE AS ..... and find pdf in the dropdown.

Now that I switched to WIN 10, neither ACCESS or WORD 2003 has the pdf option in the dropdown or menu bar.

Making a file read only and encrypting it is a sorry work around. And I don't know if that would work for the ACCESS scenario either.

How do I save work in an unalterable and easy to share and others to print or fax document?
Suggestions anyone?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Welcome to PCR :). If you're using Windows 10, you'll like have a built-in "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer. If you try and print your document, select this virtual printer from the dropdown and instead or printing to a physical printer, it'll prompt you to save a PDF file. You can use this same trick in any app that allows printing - it's a great feature!

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Welcome to PCR :). If you're using Windows 10, you'll like have a built-in "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer. If you try and print your document, select this virtual printer from the dropdown and instead or printing to a physical printer, it'll prompt you to save a PDF file. You can use this same trick in any app that allows printing - it's a great feature!

I think you might be talking about EDGE? I tried to download ADOBE DC reader and if the download process I saw a question flash which I responded to, too quickly, and may have chosen not to enable EDGE.

In any case, if I check to print to file, a .prn file is created. In EXPLORER, there is no preview to such a file. And if I right click, I am prompted to use an APP (whatever that is?) for purchase, or use DOCTOR DOC for FREE.

In any case, .prn has a "P" but it is not "pdf"

I really don't know what your extrememly brief advertisement for Microssoft is all about.
What I read on the internet is that EDGE pdf lacks by everyone's account. but for me, the entire thing makes no sense. I want to save a format. not print a file. and if I am going to PRINT to pdf format, give me check box that says PRINT TO PDF FORMAT. I don't get it .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The "Print to PDF" feature will work in any app that allows printing, so not just Edge - it'll work in Access or Word 2003 that you mentioned in your post. It's the closest thing that will achieve what you were previously using.

The only difference is that instead of going "save as" PDF, you have to "print" to a PDF. It does the same thing :). Just make sure you check the PDF printer from the print list. Here's what it looks like in Word 2016 for me (slightly different to yours):

2Capture.PNG

To check if you have this virtual PDF printer, can you go to the Start Menu, then click the settings cog, then go to Devices > Printers, do you see "Microsoft Print to PDF" listed?

Here is what I see:

Capture.PNG

If you don't have this virtual printer listed, you can follow these steps to add it:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/70377c34-e50a-42be-b9f3-92345d6e25df?auth=1

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian,I think the problem here is Office 2003 which I have on my PC. When you click Print there is no option to Print To PDF and Find Printer is also not available so it's then not possible to save a copy in PDF format to Documents or wherever or find the virtual printer that you mention. I actually now use Open Office and in the latest version it is possible to use your suggestion and there is also an option to Export As PDF which avoids the print part of things altogether.

Unfortunately there are now no Office 2003 updates so maybe it just isn't possible. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Oops, ignore the previous post. :blush:

I've just tried again and have found a way to save a Word 2003 doc in PDF format. It's in File> Print> Printer Name dropdown list> Microsoft Print to PDF> OK which then allows you to save the file (as a PDF) to wherever you want. As you say you don't actually have to do the printing.
I was, mistakenly using Find Printer.

So, it can be done. :bow::thumb:

Reaction score
Oops, ignore the previous post. :blush:

I've just tried again and have found a way to save a Word 2003 doc in PDF format. It's in File> Print> Printer Name dropdown list> Microsoft Print to PDF> OK which then allows you to save the file (as a PDF) to wherever you want. As you say you don't actually have to do the printing.
I was, mistakenly using Find Printer.

So, it can be done. :bow::thumb:

This was helpful. Thank you

Interestingly, it seems pdf files are not previewable in WINDOWS EXPLORER under WINDOWS 10.
Any comments on that?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
This was helpful. Thank you

Interestingly, it seems pdf files are not previewable in WINDOWS EXPLORER under WINDOWS 10.
Any comments on that?

Can't imagine why that is the case. There seems to be no logic to it. :confused:

Ask a Question