Word After a re-boot all Word files were changed to Picture files

Reaction score
After re-boot, all Office 2010 folders changed appearance & would only open as picture file.
If trying to open a file from explorer, the only ‘Word’ options given are 2016 but if selecting the icon that looks like ‘Word’ 2010, it opens in ‘Word’ 2010.
All Word & Excel Apps in the ‘Default App’ settings are labelled 2016.
So to open a ‘Word’ file in 2010 I have to do it by starting Word from the ‘Word’ icon on the task bar then click ‘File > Open’ or use ‘Open with’ in explorer & click the top Word icon (labelled 2016).

All Excel files open normally from the Explorer.

Please see uploaded PDF.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Office 2010 Reboot issues.pdf
    444.3 KB · Views: 189

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You could try "going back to an earlier date". It's in Settings > Recovery > Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 (or even earlier versions when you know things were OK)

It's worked for me in the past when I've run into problems.

Reaction score
Many thanks for that.

So annoying Microsoft keeps screwing up my system. I will challenge them on this before I do what you suggest.

I will let you know what they say, if anything, then follow your advice.

Reaction score
Hi nivrip.

I contacted Microsoft who sorted the problem.

She selected a ‘Word’ file in explorer right clicked> properties> General> Type of file> Change.

In ‘Change’ she selected from the apps list displayed ‘Word 2016’, the file icon then appeared normal & opened as a ‘Word’ 2010 file.

Surprisingly after doing this with one file only, all other ‘Word’ files reverted to the correct icon & opened normally.

I have no idea why ‘Office Word 2010’ files are ladled 2016. Maybe because I have both Office 2016 & Office 2010 installed.

Ask a Question