Word Captions in Word 2007

Reaction score
I am editing a document in Word 2007. There are several pictures in this. So I have decided to use the Captioning feature. I caption the first picture. It is Figure 1. But then I edit the picture, and decide to delete the MS field - led caption which is in a text box ( I delete the text box). Having edited the picture I put a caption on, if is again Fig 1.
I move to the next picture and go to caption it. But Word 2007 calls it Figure 3. I set a table of figures up to find the deleted caption still there as figure 2. Following the link takes me to a single point in the body text close to where Figure 1 is.

How do I get rid of this unwanted caption? I have spent an hour and a half searching forums including PC review, but nothing addresses this point that I have found.

I can delete all the text update the field, request a table of figures and get two figures showing!.

Any ideas??

Reaction score
Word does not automatically remove a caption when you delete a picture from a document (thanks M-Soft!). You should be able to select the now-empty caption and press Delete to get rid of it.

Also, I'm a bit confused about why the caption would show up in your table of figures since captions in Word are not actually linked to the picture that they are captioning. This seems very odd. Anyway, if my above suggestion does not work, I can also provide a VBA solution if you feel comfortable with that.

Cheers

Reaction score
Sky Tucker,

Thanks for your input. Have only just returned to the document. Think I might have found the issue. I was advised to "look in the margin" for something (an object) that was not showing but was actually there, left behind by my deletion. But couldn't see anything. Even with track changes on.

Hang on - track changes is on. Opening the reviewing pane, and there is still the option to accept the deletion of the picture. Do this - and hey presto - my table of figures entries disappear!

So conclusion is that if you have track changes on, then the table of figures will continue to see deleted figures and captions until the deletions are accepted.

Well it seems to have worked!!

Martin

Ask a Question