DVD Drive

Reaction score
OK when ever i play a music CD on the computer i get a lot of hissing & background noise.
CD's are fine if played on other machines?
Could i need to clean the DVD drive using a cleaner disc?
DVD/CD drive 5 yrs old and never been cleaned?:blush:
Problem has been only recent?
Is it a trip to Maplins for a cleaner disc??

Have tweaked the sounds so dont think it's the sound card?

Any views most welcome.

Reaction score
Disk cleaner imho are crap. They can scratch the lens

IPA and cotton bud gentle wipes I use always have done on everything I own.
Just gotta be careful

Drive could be knackered anyway. Try a diff drive in system see if you get same issue if you
do you know its the system not the drive. Possibly the cable. Never used the Audio cable links always used them via IDE or SATA. Works perfectly well and cuts down on wires

You a smoker?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Five years is pretty good going for an optical drive so yes, it could be on it's last legs.

However, before you consign it to landfill, try playing music files on your machine from another source, an mp3, WAV, FLAC file or similar. Or just play something on Youtube. If your sound is ok from another another source then get yourself a new optical drive.

A DVD burner won't cost you more than twenty quid, and at that price it may even be worth buying one from PC World or Maplins. I wouldn't buy a lens cleaner as they're rarely needed and they typically cost £8/£10.

I've been using a CD lens cleaner and DVD lens cleaner ever since since both of those types of optical drives first went on sale and although they've never scratched any lenses I can only recall a very few times they've actually solved a problem.

As TXD says, cotton bud and alcohol if lens dirty but normally a camel hair brush is all that's needed in my experience, the type of brush used for camera lenses.

Reaction score
Sadly after using a DVD cleaner disc it is still got problems with the sound reading of discs.
Going to buy a new internal drive and put it in later on in the week.

The pc is 6+ years old and apart from a new HDD at xmas has done sterling service!
So hopefully it will sought the issue out.

Reaction score
New DVD RW installed all ok & music cd's playing well, so it was the drive at fault.
Not taken the old one out as the no screws novatech case has er, screws!!:lol:
But only a minor gripe, so now listening The Bee Gees-Number Ones £4.99!!:thumb:

Last edited:

Ask a Question