dvd drive

Reaction score
Hello i have a dvd+rw drive with dell.

But am having trouble playing some cd-r with data on.

I have check on a other pc and the data comes up.

But the funny things is other dvd disc like cd-r,dvd,etc work fine on my dell laptop.

Just these ones are funny.

The disc are from tesco and have there logo on them(Tesco own CD-R pack)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Some makes/models of DVD-RW can be more picky than others when it comes to media it recognises, particularly ones burned on other machines.

Most makes have a recommended 'media list' of the brands/type they prefer - I would suggest those Tesco ones may be of the cheaper variety and that DVD-RW doesn't like 'em.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
you may even be running into a wild DRM scheme, but thats unlikely

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Some makes/models of DVD-RW can be more picky than others when it comes to media it recognises, particularly ones burned on other machines.

This.

My dad had this problem with a desktop DVD drive. It refused to read certain brands of disk, so I changed the drive for him, no problems since. Also a mate came across the same problem with a sony DVD-RW drive. That refused to read and write certain types of disk. Verbatim and TDK seemed to work but little else.
Again swapped the drive, because being able to use any brand of disk makes it more compatible and ultimately cheaper to run.

I generally buy the unbranded stuff, unless stores have the branded on offer at similar price. In a cake of 100 I might lose a couple but at that price its ok.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
True - if using cheaper media you often you have to play round and try a few makes to find ones that work consistantly - I find those using the dark purple Ritek dyes are generally more compatable than others and tend to be better when playing back on standalone players - also DVD-R's compared to DVD+R's :thumb:

Ask a Question