DVD/CD drive reads but won't burn.

Reaction score
Hi, my Pioneer DVD/CD Re-Writer DVR-108 has suddenly stopped burning CDs. Haven't tried burning a DVD yet as haven't got one lined up. It gets as far as "Burning Track 01", the drive light stays on and the drive is going round but nothing happens. After about 2 or 3 mins I have to stop the drive with difficulty. Luckily i can use the same CD-R to burn the CD on my other drive, my practice of having 2 drives on my PC has meant that I wasn't put out, thus indicating that no data was burnt onto the CD at all. It reads CDs and DVDs fine. I've tried different makes of CD-Rs but still the same problem.
Any suggestions apart from buying a new drive?
Thanks.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Tried reinstalling / updating drivers ? That would be first port of call for me.

Reaction score
Hi, just tried to update drivers but Device Manager says it could not find a better match, so am I right to assume the drivers are ok?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could trry updating the firmware and using a cleaning disk to clean the laser but other than that there's not a lot you can do. The fact it's reading disks proves cables are ok.

Optical disk drives are the most common computer comnponent to fail, regardless of make, and that includes Plextor who seem to regard themselves as a cut above the rest and therefore charge more for their product.

Fortunately they're relatively cheap and straightforward to physically replace (assuming we're talking a desktop machine and not a laptop). As soon as any of my optical drives start playing up I replace it and I suggest that's what you do.

Here's a link to a selection, add a few quid for postage Burn Baby Burn

Reaction score
It's probably about 4 to 5 years old. The Lite-On DVD/CD Re-Writer on my wife's PC is nearly 10 years old, but I suppose it doesn't get as much use as mine.
Thanks for link, I'll check it out.

Ask a Question