hpdvd840x and 630c not reading disks

Reaction score
hello, i have lurked on this forum for a long while and finally have a question that has not been answered.
recently my hpdvd840x and 630c dvd drives have stopped reading/burning discs, DVD or CD, i have exhausted all other options and finally decided to ask here, they both stopped working at the same time so i dont think they both went out
i am running a Athlon 64X2 dual core with 2GB of ram and windows XP

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
EternalWOLF said:
... still no reply mabey i was wrong about this site

Maybe you were, maybe you weren't.

Your problems could be down to several reasons.

The most obvious causes would be a faulty IDE (PATA) cable or a blown bus on the motherboard.

The cable could very well have come loose, try pushing it back.

It is also possible, but unlikely, that both drives have failed at once.

If you post a problem at 11pm on any UK forum on a weekday it's unlikely you'll get a response.

To come back with a comment like that in your second post will not endear to you to many people, so try a little tact and humility my friend, they go a long way when you're seeking help.

Try securing the cable and/or replacing it, then if you fancy posting here again, let us know how you got on and if your problem's not solved, we will try and help.

I wish you luck.

Reaction score
ohhh figures its a UK forum, my bad sorry
sorry my computers clock is messed up and the 630 is a external DVD drive so it cant be the cable
and i figured out what was wrong with my 840 the motor burned out :(
sorry for acting so mean i had a bad day...
EDIT: my 630 reads my dual layer DVDs as cd's and yes it is rated to read and write them...
i have all drivers installed and updated windows and tried multipull USB ports

Last edited:
Reaction score
EternalWOLF said:
sorry for acting so mean i had a bad day...

No worries, we all have bad days..Well you know why one of them has stopped working, so lets see bout the other..HAve you run any sort of virus scan on your computer ? Long shot I know, But viruses etc can do all kinds of wiuerd and wonderful stuff to our computers. Virus could have altered your Registry and changed settings to disable your drives..Give something like Trend Micro Housecall a shot and see if that pics up any nasties..Worth a shot. HAve you tried what Floopybootstomp suggested and checked cables etc ? Is your PSU upto the job ? In otherwords what else is it powering other than the obvious, maybe there is not enough power getting to the drive. Have you tried uninstalling it and rinstalling ?Have you made any resent hardware or software changes to your machine ? Have you tried a system restore ?
I know its a lot of questions, but saying you have "i have exhausted all other options" doesn't really tell us much...

Pardon me, excuse my manors..Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here and we are able to help you with this problem and any others you might have and seek out help here........
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
.HAve you run any sort of virus scan on your computer ? Long shot I know, But viruses etc can do all kinds of wiuerd and wonderful stuff to our computers. Virus could have altered your Registry and changed settings to disable your drives..Give something like Trend Micro Housecall a shot and see if that pics up any nasties..Worth a shot. HAve you tried what Floopybootstomp suggested and checked cables etc ? Is your PSU upto the job ? In otherwords what else is it powering other than the obvious, maybe there is not enough power getting to the drive. Have you tried uninstalling it and rinstalling ?Have you made any resent hardware or software changes to your machine ? Have you tried a system restore ?
I know its a lot of questions, but saying you have "i have exhausted all other options" doesn't really tell us much...
virus scan yes, nothing, and there is enough power going to the drive. uninstallng and reinstalling didnt work... no recent changes to my comp and the cable works fine
i cant try a system restore out of fear of losing data
any other suggestions?
thanks

Reaction score
EternalWOLF said:
i cant try a system restore out of fear of losing data
any other suggestions?
thanks

You won't lose any data doing a System Restore. When System Restore starts up it will create a restore point as your machine is now and do a backup of your drive. It is safe to do it or I wouldn't have suggested it..

Reaction score
ohh ok well system restore point came to nothing either... this is starting to make me mad
BTW my driver for my 630 shows as a sound driver

Ask a Question