Google Notifiers Not Working

Reaction score
I had a warning that suspicious activity had been detected and stopped on my Google account.

I was told to change my password which i have done. I was also told to register with 2 step activation so if it happens again i would have a message sent to my mobile phone with a code in case of the activity being me and not anything suspicious.

I had been using Gmail Notifier and Scotts Googlemail notifier, now both no longer detect messages in my inbox. I have inserted my new passwords into them and have also un and reinstalled them but still they dont work.

I have stopped 2 step activation also tried a system restore.

I posted on Google's forums but they haven't replied. I did notice on their forums, several complaints were made to say people were using Mobile phones, Tablets and Laptops in other Towns or Countries and its being picked up as being suspicious, and they dont want to change passwords.

I dont want to cancel my Gmail account and start over again so if anyone can help i would be obliged. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First up, you should always be running two step verification anyway!

I don't personally use any of these 'notifiers' so can't help you there. FWIW I use Pushbullet. Does the same plus much more. :)

Are the devices Apple products? You may need to set up an app password within your account for them.

More details on the devices would be handy. :)

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply V_R. The notifiers are for my PC running Windows 7, not a mobile device. A small envelope sits in the taskbar and changes colour whem mail is received. Thers also an audio message. These no longer work since i changed my Google password even though the new password is added to the notifiers.

Reaction score
Ok, I managed to sort the problem. I turned off 2 step varification and now my accounts are recognised. Its a shame Googles security doesn't seem to allow Notifiers on your PC.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Glad you have it sorted, but if I had to turn off 2 step in order for something to work, that something would be binned off.

Reaction score
Yes Muckshifter, it was Googles 2 step varification that i was advised to use. On Google forum there is many complaints from people who are using laptops, Mobile Phones and Tablets in for example Hotels or restaraunts and Google are flagging the ip's as suspicious and telling you to change your password and use 2 step activation. My Gmail notifiers on my PC would not recognise my new password. I have used these for years without problems until now. If 2 step is going to affect other applications on my PC i dont want it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, right ...

I'm glad I don't use it then. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Please. I've been using 2 step verification for YEARS on a wide range of devices, PC's laptops, phones and tablets, both Android and Apple.

Like I said earlier, If you use 2 step verification (and you should tbh) Apple products may require you to use an 'app password' (check your Google account to learn more. I'd expect these stupid and pointless notifiers will need the same.

READ: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Not relevant to the OP I know, but reading that it seems if your iOS devices is up to date you no longer need to use app passwords so even less of a reason NOT to use 2 step. ;)

TBH, You don't even need a dodgy third party notifier anymore.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1075549?hl=en

Have a read of that. :)

Ask a Question