NHS staff trigger Google cyber-defences

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It has been reported that so many NHS staff use Google whilst at work that it has triggered the search engine's cyber-defences. BBC News takes a look:

NHS Digital confirmed so many NHS staff use the search engine that it had started asking them to take a quiz to verify they were "not a robot".
News site the Register reported one NHS Trust had told staff to "use Bing" instead.
Google indicated its systems were designed to spot unusual traffic and were working as intended.
Detecting suspicious traffic from one network can help defeat potential cyber-attacks, such as attempts to try to overwhelm a website.
The BBC understands Google is not deliberately singling out NHS traffic.

Read more here.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
One or two doctors and staff at our GP surgery have used Google during consultations. One GP even advised that we should continue Google searches at home. (An appointment with a different GP produced better results and a referral for hubby to attend an Orthotics clinic at the local hospital.)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
One or two doctors and staff at our GP surgery have used Google during consultations. One GP even advised that we should continue Google searches at home. (An appointment with a different GP produced better results and a referral for hubby to attend an Orthotics clinic at the local hospital.)

My GP will often use Google to see if there is any conflict with me taking new or different medication for my heart. My psychiatrist on the other hand has warned me not to Google illnesses as she believes it can actually make people more mentally ill.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a pediatrician and he says he often uses Google to check things - I don't have a problem with that myself. I don't think most patients should be encouraged to Google health concerns though - before you know if you've diagnosed yourself with terminal brain cancer! Guess it depends on the person though. I don't like to do it myself, as I worry about the potential for it to affect my perception of symptoms.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Yeah the second so called consultant I saw recently did not even try to explain what a CT scan did differently to an X-ray, he just told me to google it. That and the fact he would not let me finish a sentence and his general attitude is what led me to make a complaint.
I am pretty hacked off as I have just had a thirty mile round trip to see a consultant. After a hours wait I was told that I had been booked into the wrong clinic and would be sent a letter detailing my new appointment.
This despite the fact that I gave my GP a letter from my consultant in Kendal detailing what type of appointment I needed. I was also told that the hospital did not even have my medical records so could not pick up on the mistake when the appointment was made. That is awful as I had given my GP a cd containing all the x-rays that had been done for my shoulder that my previous consultant had said would be helpful to my new hospital.
The NHS is going down hill fast. The blame falls fairly and squarely on the Conservatives for trying to privatise everything and the Labour'ites for just not doing anything apart from spending loads of money inappropriately and not opposing the privatisation plans.
:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Talking of the NHS...

UndermineNHS.jpg

Ask a Question