Disable new grid Chrome tabs on Android

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Google Chrome updated on my Android phone last night, and I hate the new grid tab layout, especially the new tab bar at the bottom of the screen. It seems like such a retrograde step to force even less viewing space on a mobile browser.

I had a look on how to disable this, but the steps I found online didn't work. If you want to disable this, try these steps:

Browse to:

chrome://flags

Then search for "groups". Disable:
  • Tab Groups
  • Tab Groups Continuation
  • Tab Groups UI Improvements
Once you've done this, reload the browser using the button at the bottom.

Ad

Advertisements

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, I hate this too. Hopefully Google don't remove the flag for it like the seem to have a habit of doing in the past...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hate this tab change enough that I'd switch browsers, and I'm normally pretty indifferent to things like this. Interesting that it's not just me that dislikes this!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We're definitely not the only ones. I've seen it talked about on various forums and of course, Reddit.

Ad

Advertisements

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just coming back to this, I had this change on my Pixel 4XL today, so I had a look through the Chrome Flags and found 'Tab Grid Layout'

Gives you many options between the grid, stack etc. so its also worth a look. :)

Ask a Question