AVG and my virus

Reaction score
Hi I have just had a bad virus, 8 hours to eradicate.
Am told my AVG didn't stop it as too old, so useless, so no support, it displayed message "you are not protected" and because I didn't manually update it. OK a costly lesson but I have a few questions.
It was set to update automatically and had added latest release 9.12.2020 so why didn't it work or notify me of the virus or that it was disabled, not working?
Should old matter if it is updating automatically?
Thank you for any advice or answers to my questions.
(avg unable to send intelligible reply)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @Ernie21, welcome the forums!

Which OS are you using, is it Windows 10? If so, I'd probably recommend disabling AVG and use Windows Defender/Windows Security, as it's actually really quite good and already built in.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, I only use Windows Defender now. On the anti- virus comparison charts it's consistently near, or at, the top and has been for a number of years.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
UNINSTAL AVG

Just use Windows Security (Windows Defender) and I would also recommend AdwCleaner

AdwCleaner is a free stand-alone non-installing non-malicious malware cleaner. I have used this program to good effect and can recommend it to all.

Ask a Question