Discussion: The US Presidential Election

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Indeed! Idiocracy is quite a bad film, but still a frightening and partly believable prospect!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
According to the New York Times (via BBC News) "on 6 January the first family had an all-night party at the White House with a guest list that included Paul McCartney, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks and Stevie Wonder.

Witnesses said Obama tried a dance-off in the East Room against pop star Usher."

:dance: :bow: :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, wary of getting too political but.... that could have been Bernie Sanders at the inauguration ceremony today had he not been betrayed by his own party.

Seems to me the American Democrat party haven't a clue, they dumped Bernie and fielded Hillary, not the smartest of moves, imo.

Were I an American being given that voting choice I'm not surprised so many voted for that intellectually challenged buffoon known as the trump man. Trump at least had something in common with the Blue Collar voter uttering his crass comments whereas Hillary just seemed to represent upper class deceit, lies and callousness.

Own foot, democrats.

Reaction score
My feeling that Trump presidency will end up in tears at the very least and isolated with the rest of the world.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Maybe for things like healthcare it will actually be a good thing - by scrapping the Affordable Care Act (ie Obamacare) people will realise that it's unfair that millions of people can't afford healthcare, and something substantial will (eventually) be put in place. I think I'm clutching at straws here though!

So far it's looking pretty depressing though... https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/822603748233121792

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Maybe for things like healthcare it will actually be a good thing - by scrapping the Affordable Care Act (ie Obamacare) people will realise that it's unfair that millions of people can't afford healthcare, and something substantial will (eventually) be put in place. I think I'm clutching at straws here though!

So far it's looking pretty depressing though... https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/822603748233121792

This from your link sums the situation up,

~ Nafi ~ ‏@NafizzleBxtch 2h2 hours ago

@jules_su @laurennnjane_ Idk much about Taxes i'm still 15 & learning, but why is he raising taxes if he doesn't pay his own taxes?
1f914.png

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
No, how you govern will be so special, and so different from that pathetic portrayal. You’re going to bring into your administration a whole heap of talented people who will oversee a climate change in the way facts are considered. You will bring in financial experts who will reassure everyone that, no matter what the markets say, everyone is, in fact, fine. You will bring in law experts who will prove categorically that anyone who feels their civil liberties are being infringed are themselves infringing the civil liberties of the vast majority who voted to change them. And, above all, you will persuade everyone, especially those who tell you that you polled nearly three million votes fewer than Hillary, that you do have a mandate – since you believe you do, and it feels like the vast majority of people believe you do, too. And that’s evidence no money can buy.

That’s how you will govern. Properly, effectively. Why, if the economy goes bad, or promised laws aren’t passed, or a war breaks out, why spend time and money and precious energy dealing with those things? Isn’t it more efficient to persuade people that they aren’t happening? Think what money that would save, putting dollars back in the pocket of every American. You will do a deal with the American people, a great big beautiful deal, the ultimate deal, and they will absolutely love it. What you’ve done is started a revolution, a movement. You’ve taught people to believe not what is empirically true but what is emotionally true, which is a better truth. You’ve set free the credulity of the people.

So here is another undeniable fact. Soon the consequences of what you are doing will spread throughout the world. And, once done, they can’t be undone. Yes, you will be remembered for a very, very long time. Fact.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/21/letter-to-donald-trump-president-armando-iannucci

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
In his blistering debut as White House press secretary on Saturday, Spicer accused journalists of reporting inaccurate crowd numbers and using misrepresentative photographs “to minimise the enormous support” that he claimed the new president enjoyed at his swearing-in.

“No one had numbers because the National Park Service, which controls the National Mall, does not put any out,” he said, before going ahead anyway to declare that Trump had attracted “the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration” in person and in the world.

“These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm for the inauguration are shameful and wrong.”

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/22/trump-inauguration-crowd-sean-spicers-claims-versus-the-evidence

Wait-what.jpg

"How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.”
“Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane."

— George Orwell, via O’Brien, 1984 – anticipating almost perfectly the Trump media strategy

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Christ. What concerns me is - how bad does it need to get before he loses his support? I keep thinking that the tide will turn...

I also don't like the fact that Theresa May has no choice but to be nice to him at their upcoming meeting. This new 'Global Britain' can't afford to upset him. Flipping Brexit.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Trump and Putin strange bedfellows. This news report from September 2016 makes their friendship seem even stranger.

57ea7bfcc46188a33a8b459a.jpg

Authorities in the Russian capital plan to substitute US computer software with locally produced alternatives. As a first step, about 6,000 Moscow officials will start using a corporate e-mail system called MyOffice Mail instead of Microsoft Outlook.
An idea to get rid of foreign software from computers used by Russian authorities was backed by President Vladimir Putin due to his security concerns after the relationship between Moscow and the West deteriorated over Ukrainian crisis.
In March, the Russian President said that starting from the second half of 2016; all state-backed companies should switch to Russian software. If public authorities want to buy foreign software, they must first consult with a special registry and make sure that there are no similar Russian products. If there are Russian alternatives, authorities will have to explain why Russian software doesn’t suit their needs.
Next year, Moscow wants to expand the software substitution developed by Russian company New Cloud Technologies to as many as 600,000 machines, said Artem Yermolaev, head of information technology at the Russian telecoms operator Rostelecom. Microsoft Windows and Office may be abolished later on, Yermolaev added.
According to the Minister of Communications and Mass Media Nikolay Nikiforov, Russia spends about 20 billion rubles (over $300 million) every year on foreign software, while local companies are ready to provide the government with similar IT solutions.

Makes you wonder why Trump would be friends with a guy who has just lost his country millions in tax income.
hmm.gif

Mind you Trump does not pay much regard for taxes and Microsoft hardly pay any taxes in the USA so thats ok then.

Trump da
hug.gif

Microsoft niet
Smiley-IPB-400.gif
stretcher.gif

Ask a Question