Discussion: Privacy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Becky, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Becky

Becky Webmistress Administrator

The subject of privacy seems to feature in the news most days now, so I thought it would be an interesting debate topic here. Anyone using the internet will have had data gathered on them for one reason or another, and indeed personal data is big business nowadays. Companies and governments gather as much information as they can about people, and don't always protect that data as well as they should. This data is also worth a great deal and is bought and sold on the market place like any other commodity. Too many people either accept that privacy violations are now part of daily life, or aren't aware that their privacy is being violated in the first place.

Some questions to get things started:

• What constitutes a privacy violation?
    • Should we just accept that we lose privacy by using the internet?
    • Is it fair that our data is gathered, bought and sold?
    • Under what conditions is it ok?
    • If you don't have anything to hide, then surely it's ok?
    • What can you do to protect your privacy online?

Becky, Apr 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

The data gathering (stealing) mostly applies to Mac and Windows OS's though it occurs in Linux through third party software and apps.

For myself, I don't receive a great deal of spam and any cold callers simply get told to **** off. Really.

If I was that bothered about privacy I'd employ a free or paid-for VPN.

I'm aware I have data gathered from me online but I don't accept that 'If you have nothing to hide then it's ok' line, not at all. It's like taking a shower in the middle of Trafalgar Square. I think police and security forces should have the power to eavesdrop where they suspect criminal or terrorist activity but this should be subject to a warrant being granted, similar to property search warrants.

All told, it doesn't bother me too much as people trying to flog me stuff I neither need nor want get very short and very abusive thrift from me.

floppybootstomp, Apr 21, 2017
    bootneck02, Becky and EvanDavis like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Agreed. I think data privacy needs to be taken more seriously, and if companies want to sell your data there should be an upfront opt-out, not something hidden in the T&Cs.

I agree that governments should be able to monitor individuals suspected of criminal / terrorist activity, but when they talk about wanting back doors for access that's just asking for trouble.

Anyone here watched the film Snowden?

Becky, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Becky

bootneck02

That was one of the reasons I downloaded Linux Mint and only use Linux, because of the adverts via Microsoft I also StartPage search engine, because using the usual engines because of the adverts. What ever you search for your Internet provider will have records of your searches, so are available to the police should they require to look at your search habits, but they will require a search warrant, but that will change soon because of security. I have no doubt the security services by various means are able monitor as and when required because of the security issues of this modern world.

bootneck02, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Becky

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

I haven't see Snowden yet but it did catch my attention.

Fact is, in the greater majority of the worlds nations, if the spooks want to check you out, they will.

And maybe that's a good thing.

floppybootstomp, Apr 22, 2017
    bootneck02 likes this.
  6. Becky

Quadophile Hon. Acoustical Engineer Moderator

Data breach is another thing these days which is very common. Big companies who have your information and a great deal of it like banks, and government agencies who you interact with are also vulnerable. Many times it has been reported that a data breach has occured and all your info is with the hackers who then sell that valubale info in the market place. There is no such thing "safe place in the cyberspace"

Quadophile, Apr 23, 2017
    Taffycat, Becky and bootneck02 like this.
  7. Becky

Abarbarian Acruncher

If anyone thinks that there is such a thing as a "private" life then they must be living on a different planet.
    If you are living in the UK you have no freedom and no legal right to it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eillance-becomes-uk-law-with-barely-a-whimper

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ttacks-plans-to-extend-dragnet-of-secrecy-act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Communications_Headquarters

So we live in a country that has a secret service so secret in fact that it operated outside the law with impunity for many years and now it can operate with full legal backing.
    As you can see it even spied secretly on the people who are supposed to be in control of and running the country.
    So do you think you live in a free and open society that holds freedom and privacy close to its heart ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Abarbarian, Apr 24, 2017
  8. Becky

bootneck02

The right to free speech has been blasted away, I suspect that the security services have been doing this for many years without the knowledge of their political masters. But if you haven't been naughty why worry.:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    bootneck02, Apr 24, 2017
  9. Becky

So if you were at home, you wouldn't mind someone you don't know just watching what you were doing through your windows?

Becky, Apr 25, 2017
    bootneck02 likes this.
  10. Becky

bootneck02

Unfortunately as the world is today it is something we have to put up with. I was brought up in the 40's and the 1950's and private conversations were private and the police if they wanted to intercept a letter they had to have a warrant. I worked for GPO after I left school until I went into the HMRM but now any communication over the Internet, post, mobile or telephone can be monitored without warrant or justification. Yes so it is a worry but as the world is today like or not or put up with the casual bombing by terrorists and other crimes.

P.S Depends what I was doing:lol:

bootneck02, Apr 25, 2017
    1. Advertisements