Deskstar up and running

Reaction score
Guys,

I am now broadcasting from a clean XP install on my new Hitachi Deskstart T7K250 SATA-II HDD. Procedure was as follows:

1. Open case and disconnected 2 x 80GB IDE drives
2. Inserted new 250GB and connected SATA data cable to port 1, and used the legacy adaptor to connect up the 4-pin power cable
3. Inserted WinXP CD and powered-up
4. Installed XP, Mobo drivers, SP2 and GFX drivers.
5. System running fine, HDD is TOTALLY SILENT and seems quick.

Only wierd things were:
1. XP only picked the disk up as being 128GB in size (131,072MB) - thing this was a mobo thing. The disk manager in XP said the same, until I installed the NForce4 drivers from the CD, then it picked up the correct 250GB.
2. There are NO icons on my XP desktop!! I quite like it, but not even the "My Network Places" etc.... completely blank!

Otherwise, touching wood heavily, it was indeed a piece of p*ss!

Thanks for the comments and advice from Chris and others.

Jock

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP only has the trash can on the desktop ... why? I don't know, 'cos you can't trash anything.

Now I suppose we'll have to tell you how to put things on the desktop ... maybe tomorrow. :p

Oh, well done ... easy, init. :D

Reaction score
Is that right? Every other XP install I've done leaves me with a bunch of icons on the desktop. Still - who cares, I like it. Just plugged my old IDE drive in now.. and it works. I just have to do all the crap to get into my old Admin folder.

Reaction score
Do the following to get icon's;

1. Right Click On Desktop, Select Properties
2. Click The Desktop Tab
3. Click Customise Desktop
4. Select at the top of the box which opens what icon's you want displaying
5. Okay the box
6. Click Apply
7. Close the Display Properties Box Off

Done ;)

Ask a Question