SATA cables

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Used HDClone to install the contents of an old 40Gb HDD to a
new 250GB WD HDD and with new HDD resting on the bench all
has been well for a couple of days but having never had a
SATA HD before was surprised by the flimsy connectors - they are able to wriggle about.
Today decided to fit it to my case and its a bit of a struggle as I fitted round IDE cables a couple of years ago (cannot remember why).
Think I got a bit clumsy when I connected the data and power cables
pushed up against an IDE cable to the DVD-ROM - could have bent them down
. Boot produced 'error with 4th drive'.
When I tried it outside the case the same thing happened. Have ordered
a combined power/ data cable but I think I should have gone for right-angled cables.
Grateful for any opinions - have I b-----d the new HD?
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:blush:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Ebuyer replaced my faulty WD 250GB HDD in very short time- very impressed with the customer service.
I then used HD Clone free edition to clone the original 40GB HD to it. It all works fine but having searched the Web re HD Clone there are warnings that the the original partition remains the same size on the new HD. However during the cloning process there is an option to expand the original partition to fill the whole volume of the new drive, which I did.
Disk manager in XP shows the new partition on the HDD as 232GB so are these warnings out of date?
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you got the job done then no need to worry about the warnings.

Most cloning software requires you to have the same size or larger partition to clone to. For some reason they do not like cloning to a smaller partition, maybe that was what the warning was about.

A lot of folk tend to place an os in the first part of the drive in a 30GB>100GB partition ( chose your own size) with thye rest of the drive partitioned for files and folders. It can make replacing the os much easier and quicker if needed.

nod.gif

Ask a Question