Lost sound

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Fitted a LiteOn HAS324 SATA DVD drive to my Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 MB and cannot get any sound - CDs and DVDs run but no sound and not even the XP jingle on booting. Have successfully burned an XP bootable DVD so it appears the drive is working. Googled the problem and saw lots of references to the audio cable on IDE drives but there is no socket for an audio cable on SATA drives.
The drive came with nero9 essentials and have also downloaded VLC media player, but the same thing happens - both CDs and DVDs run but no sound.
Would be most grateful for any advice
Cheers
peahouse05:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no "jingles" ?

uninstall reinstall and or check sound drivers

:user:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks
Never thought I'd miss the little tune on booting XP. The only software that came with the drive was Nero 8. Have tried updating the drivers to no avail. Will uninstall the drive and reinstall as you suggest.
Cheers
peahouse05

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it's onboard sound check that it's enabled in the Bios.

Make sure master volume control not muted.

If active loudspeakers make sure they're switched on and active.

Make sure loudspeakers plugged into correct socket.

Try a set of headphones in the output socket.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Flopps
Have now tried that - thanks for the advice.
Realtek shows plugs being plugged and unplugged, earphones click when plugged and unplugged. Have downloaded and installed the latest Microsoft UAA bus drivers but still no sound with CD/DVD running ok. Motherboard onboard sound worked fine with previous IDE DVD RW drive. Think I'll put it back in the rig to check all is still ok tomorrow.
Cheers
peahouse05still:confused:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Contacted LiteOn Support and they emailed Smartpacks which enabled me to update the DVD drive firmware. Still no sound so I will reinstall my Sony DVD RW drive tomorrow to see what happens
Cheers
peahouse05

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Just after my last post the LiteOn DVD drive came up as 'New Hardware' and I now have sound, so the LiteOn firmware update worked. As usual Mucks was right but I didn't know how to uninstall and reinstall the drive - the firmware update did it.
Thanks
peahouse05:bow:

Ask a Question