Uninitiated

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Tried to install a WD 250GB SATA HDD to my Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 MB with XP SP2. The main HDD is a 40GB Maxtor. I would like to use HDClone to clone the IDE HDD to the SATA drive.
The new HDD shows up in BIOS and in Device Manager but in Disc Management it shows up as -
Disc 1
Basic
232.88GB
Unallocated
Online.
I've Googled the problem and followed the advice to right-click on disc1 and Initiate but nothing happens.
Disconnected the IDE HDD and tried to boot from an XP installation disc to install XP on the SATA HDD but get INF file textsetup is corrupt or missing Status 8192.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
peahouse05:wall:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When you had both disks connected and you opened Disk management within XP it should have flashed up a window giving you the option to make the new disk active (or words to that effect, can't quite remember the exact wording).

Do that, then when you right click the disk within Disk Management, format it to NTFS and you should be good to go.

If you don't get the option to activate the disk, I'm stumped.

If you have a floppy disk drive I could host a freebie program which is a lite version of Paragon Disk Manager from about ten years ago.

You could make a floppy disk from that, boot from it and then format the new drive within that program. I use it frequently.

Let me know.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Flopps
Thanks for that.Tried a different XP disc today and formatted the new hard disc ok. Shows up as 152GB in my computer,due I guess, to the motherboard.
Now have only one of three XP discs that works - hope I can use it in future together with the installation keys from ther faulty discs.
Cheers
peahouse05:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi Flopps
Thanks for that.Tried a different XP disc today and formatted the new hard disc ok. Shows up as 152GB in my computer,due I guess, to the motherboard.
Now have only one of three XP discs that works - hope I can use it in future together with the installation keys from ther faulty discs.
Cheers

Good news (apart from 152Gb).

If you have three legit Win XP codes and only one good working CD, then make two copies of that CD, that's quite above board.

It's the licence you pay for, not the disk.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You should see more than 152gb of a 250gb disk, more like > 230gb.

EDIT: Ignore due to below post that was added the same time. :)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Flopps
Will do that.
BTW - got it wrong, the 152GB is an external back up HD and the new 250GB has swapped drive letters with it. The external has always shoed up as 'new volume'
Cheers
peahouse05

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Have finally created a bootable XP Home Edition DVD with SP3 integrated, by following a tutorial from howtohaven.com - many errors along the way (all my fault). The DVD boots and follows the normal XP installation path but I have not tried it as far as the validation key - will do this after Christmas and report back.
Did this as two of my three XP installation CDs have come up with file errors over the last few months. I'm assuming you can install XP with any disk as long as you use a legal key.
Merry Christmas

Ask a Question