Windows 7 Windows7 32bit boot

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Upgraded from XP to Windows 7 on a WD 250Gb SATA HDD some months ago - have had boot problems on two occasions, the latest on Friday. No blue screen, just would not boot - screen goes blank. Fortunately have XP on a 40Gb Maxtor HDD as secondary and a 160GB Maxtor external drive with back-up images of the Windows 7 installation.
Just curious - should I re-install Windows? It is obviously a problem with boot sector on the HDD - tried scanning the disk and CHECKDISK but nothing found.
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:)

Reaction score
Try putting your Windows 7 CD and when it boots there should be a repair option, read everything on the pages as the come before pressing Next. It would be good if you put on your post the details of your PC and which version of Windows 7 you are using as it helps any one answering your query.

Last edited:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Bootneck02
Tried all the repair facilities on my Windows 7 disk but none has worked - thinking it must be to do with original Windows 7 update from XP.
BTW have tried to get my Brother HL-1230 printer working on Windows7 for months now, none of the fixes worked. When I logged on to the Brother website for help I was asked to provide details of the original invoice from 7 years ago.
Have no idea how hard it is for some whizzkid at Brother to write a bit of code to make my printer work since thousands of others seem to work on Windows 7.
Cheers
peahouse05:)

Reaction score
Have you burnt a Windows 7 repair/ boot disc? Have you backed up your files on a external drive?

Once you have rebuilt the OS look in control panel, click on System Security, there you will see " Review your Computer's Status"," Back Up your Computer" there you have a choice of " Turn off schedule", "Create a system image", "Create a system repair disc". If you click on Create a system image you will be given a choice of creating a image of your complete system or just of your saved files. I would recomend you use a external hard drive because you will use to many CD's or DVD's e.g. I have 270gb of files and operating system on my C drive. You can burn a Rescue disc which will repair and boot your OS. I hope that is helpfull.

Last edited:

Ask a Question