new case with wierd and wonderful results ? not

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post, I decided to change my large desktop case for a new opera media case, i put everything back as it should and most has worked except for the dvd drive, I am running windows 7 home premium, my motherboard is a ASRock 4 core dual sata 2, running 4 pentium 2.4 chips, when I go to my computer It shows a cd drive instead of a dvd drive, after some time it may show the dvd drive, and after a while shows just a cd drive again, if i insert a dvd, the dvd light is on contstantly, after about 20 mins or so, it will play the dvd, but very jumpy, anyone know how to fix this, I have updated all the drivers but to no avail, also my second HDD shows up on the start up screen but not in my computer, this also is intermitent, there one minute gone the next, and I have noticed if I touch any of the cables at the back the computer reboots ?, the only thing I can think of is when I installed the spacers when fitting the mobo, I have put them in the wrong place, I foolishly forgot to check the position of the screws before I removed the mobo, in the new case all the holes match up with all the holes in the mobo, so how do i tell which are the correct ones, any help would be really great, thanks in advance guys.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

The reboot problem sounds the most serious (and everything seems related). I'd open up your new case and check the fit of everything (and all the cables!) - it could be that you've got some loose connections in there.

If you want to check the fit of the spacers, you'd need to take the motherboard out and count/place all the spacers for each motherboard hole you see.

Reaction score
Thanks for that, but as I already said all the holes have room for spacers and all the holes on the mobo also match up with them so should i use every hole ?.

Welcome to the forums :).

The reboot problem sounds the most serious (and everything seems related). I'd open up your new case and check the fit of everything (and all the cables!) - it could be that you've got some loose connections in there.

If you want to check the fit of the spacers, you'd need to take the motherboard out and count/place all the spacers for each motherboard hole you see.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Technically, you don't need to use every hole - however if you've got it unbalanced or not enough secure points then it isn't ideal. If you've got enough spacers then I'd take it out and make sure you use them all - partly because when you do this you'll need to re-fit everything anyway :).

Ask a Question