Windows XP not detecting SATA DVD-RW

Reaction score
My wife's computer's motherboard fried and I couldn't find one that would support 4 IDE devices. So I got an ASUS M3A78-CM. Same one in my puter except I am running XP Pro. I take one of the SATA DVD-RWs out of my computer put in hers cause she has 2 IDE hard drives and the new MOBO only supports 2 IDE devices.
Anway. Everything starts up fine. I get WIndows reactivated then update with SP3. Windows update now tells me have have the most current edition, great. I go to run the CD that came from ASUS and nothing. Tray goes in and out but I can't find the drive. Rebooted and checked the BIOS, there's the drive but its not in Device Manger, Windows Explorer, Computer Management, or My Computer. Shut down remove the slave HDD and install an IDE DVD-RW. Load all the drivers from the ASUS CD. Rebooted. Still no SATA DVD-RW.
I can't find a driver for a Samsung SH-S223Q DVD-RW. All there is on their website is a firmware update. I've downloaded that and run it but it doesn't seem to do anything.
This evening I tried reinstalling Windows XP from the CD and the system won't let me cause the program on the computer is newer than what's on the disk.
What else can I do?

Mike

Reaction score
On your computer copy the Chipset drivers / Installer from the CD to a USB flash drive.
Run it on your wifes computer and hay presto.... your drives will appear.... at this point put the CD in your wifes computer and instal everything else.

Ask a Question