SATA query

Reaction score
I'm not very genned up on SATA hence this posting.
I'm upgrading my PC using Acer M4A78LT- M motherboard. My previous motherboard only had IDE sockets, wheras the new MB has both IDE and SATA sockets. I will be connecting 2 DVD/RW's to the IDE socket and 2 hard drives to the SATA socket. Now in the MB user guide it says, "Install the Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later versions before using Serial ATA." Should I be wanting to use XP, how do I install it onto a SATA hard drive if I have to install XP SP2 before using a SATA hard drive??? Or am I missing something?
Thanks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have XP with SP2 included on a cd it will install as is to a SATA hdd no need for floppys or drivers.
nod.gif

Reaction score
So the advisory statement "Install the Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later versions before using Serial ATA" in the motherboard User Guide is not quite the right advice then. It didn't make sense to me either. I mean how can you install an operating system without it going on the hard drive?
Thanks.

Ask a Question