SSD Result

Reaction score
I built a new machine a couple of months back and used a couple of old 300Gb Seagate 7200pm drives in a RAID array. They were old drives, 10 years or more old perhaps.

It ran pretty slow and the drives were always clattering away.

I was about to order an NVME drive for it, and at the last second it occurred to me I had a USB3 256Gb external HDD that I wasn't using - one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-Waterproof-Military-Grade-Shockproof-ASD700-256GU3-CBK/dp/B01N1GP6DT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501952633&sr=8-2&keywords=adata+external+SSD

Cracked it open, and it's actually one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-SU800-3D-NAND-Long-Endurance-ASU800SS-256GT-C/dp/B01K8A2A0E/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1501952663&sr=1-3&keywords=adata+su800+128gb

but in an external case with a SATA to USB chip.

Lost the external case and the SATA > USB chip and hey presto, I've saved myself a few quid. Not the most elegant solution as it just hangs free in the case rather than being mounted properly - but the PC absolutely FLIES now, and all my data lives on a NAS so it'll only ever had the OS and Apps installed on it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's the spirit! It's amazing how much difference an SSD can make.

Your drive has a couple of mounting holes, maybe you could find a surface where you could mount it inside the case, using a couple of nylon/plastic nuts and bolts.

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice one :). Saved yourself a few quid too!

SSDs make such a huge difference, even for old machines - if anyone is reading this thread and doesn't have one, it's a very worthwhile upgrade :).

Which UPS have you got in the distance there - a CyberPower one? If so, what do you think of it?

Reaction score
Nice one :). Saved yourself a few quid too!

SSDs make such a huge difference, even for old machines - if anyone is reading this thread and doesn't have one, it's a very worthwhile upgrade :).

Which UPS have you got in the distance there - a CyberPower one? If so, what do you think of it?
I have the Cyber Power 900w pure sine wave version. It works well, we actually have 3 in the house... one in the AV cupboard, another for another TV and Sky Box and a third for the PC.

@floppybootstomp again not the most elegant but I butchered the original case so the cables would fit and 3M command stripped to the bottom of the case!

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question