SSD Result

Reaction score
I built a new machine a couple of months back and used a couple of old 300Gb Seagate 7200pm drives in a RAID array. They were old drives, 10 years or more old perhaps.

It ran pretty slow and the drives were always clattering away.

I was about to order an NVME drive for it, and at the last second it occurred to me I had a USB3 256Gb external HDD that I wasn't using - one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-Wate...1501952633&sr=8-2&keywords=adata+external+SSD

Cracked it open, and it's actually one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-SU80...=1501952663&sr=1-3&keywords=adata+su800+128gb

but in an external case with a SATA to USB chip.

Lost the external case and the SATA > USB chip and hey presto, I've saved myself a few quid. Not the most elegant solution as it just hangs free in the case rather than being mounted properly - but the PC absolutely FLIES now, and all my data lives on a NAS so it'll only ever had the OS and Apps installed on it.

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's the spirit! It's amazing how much difference an SSD can make.

Your drive has a couple of mounting holes, maybe you could find a surface where you could mount it inside the case, using a couple of nylon/plastic nuts and bolts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice one :). Saved yourself a few quid too!

SSDs make such a huge difference, even for old machines - if anyone is reading this thread and doesn't have one, it's a very worthwhile upgrade :).

Which UPS have you got in the distance there - a CyberPower one? If so, what do you think of it?

Reaction score
Nice one :). Saved yourself a few quid too!

SSDs make such a huge difference, even for old machines - if anyone is reading this thread and doesn't have one, it's a very worthwhile upgrade :).

Which UPS have you got in the distance there - a CyberPower one? If so, what do you think of it?

I have the Cyber Power 900w pure sine wave version. It works well, we actually have 3 in the house... one in the AV cupboard, another for another TV and Sky Box and a third for the PC.

@floppybootstomp again not the most elegant but I butchered the original case so the cables would fit and 3M command stripped to the bottom of the case!

IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9379.jpg

Ask a Question