8800GT graphics card help

Reaction score
so i decided to completly redo my computer and bought all the components i needed, after putting it all together i try to boot it up to install the OS, the problem is that there is no video output going the screen despite checking that the card has power and is plugged in correctly.Is it just a faulty card or am i missing something here?

My current setup for the computer is as follows:

mobo: ASUS M2V - Motherboard - ATX - K8T890 - Socket AM2
CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition, 3.2 GHz
RAM: pc2-6400 2x 1gb sticks
HDD: 250gb sata drive
450w power supply
g/c: nvidia GeForce 8800gt

have not yet installed OS onto computer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Your PSU output should surfice if you dont add too much more hardware

Are you 100% sure it is seated and locked properly into it's slot?

Make sure the cable is fitted properly at rear of card and rear of monitor

Make sure there are no broken pins in either end of the cable

Check for any damage on the card (some are returned faulty and sold again)

If your Monitor has different inputs make sure you are using the correct channel by switching between the two

Make sure the card is compatable with your motherboard. Older PCI-e boards use a different voltage. And incompatability issues can arise from this

Try dropping (reseting) the BIOS. Make sure power is off at wall when you switch jumper postions first just to make sure

Goodluck

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i tried all your ideas but still no video output, im going to buy a cheap standard card to see if it is the motherboard or something else causing the problem

Reaction score
j020 said:
thanks for the advice, i tried all your ideas but still no video output, im going to buy a cheap standard card to see if it is the motherboard or something else causing the problem

I'm still fairly new at this, but if I were to bet on a cause, it would be that the 8800GT can't draw enough power from you PSU. What make/model is your PSU?

Reaction score
icute :S, was a reasonable price and i thought 450w would be suitable, it says on case that it can be used with PCI express cards. THe fan does turn on the card though.

Ask a Question