SSD Choice?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new 250Gb SSD to replace my four year old Corsair 120Gb SSD. I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to what's top of the tree and what isn't so could anybody make any suggestions?

The Crucial BX 250Gb drive caught my eye but I know little about these drives just lately so I'm trying to bypass homework and ask you people ;)

I don't actually need a new SSD for my main computer - although it is constantly very close to full so it wouldn't do any harm - but a mate of mine gave me his old 2009 Asus Netbook, 1.6Gb; single core; 4Gb RAM and an 80Gb mechanical hard drive and I figured my old 120Gb SSD would improve the spec of it.

After I'd wiped the Netbook 80Gb mechanical HDD btw, I formatted it and changed the two partitions into one and loaded Win 7. It really is quite nippy for it's spec. Trouble is, to enable Wi-Fi I have to update the BIOS and Asus only supply BIOS updating software to run in XP for this model.

So, I'll either have to wipe disk; load XP; update BIOS, wipe disk, load Win 7 OR Buy a new SSD to free up old SSD and take things from there.

This Netbook will suit me just fine for programming amplifiers on site btw, I'd previously had to borrow my daughter's Netbook for this function, as it's the only thing I really need a Netbook/Laptop for.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Any of the Crucial drives are good, the MX100 gets consistently good reviews. :)

I cant recommend the Samsung Evo's at the mo though, the performance degradation while isn't bad isn't good for an SSD, certainly not from somewhere like Samsung, and doesn't lok like it can be fixed with a SW update..:(

Reaction score
My 256gb Crucial M4 has never let me down. Few years old now and well worth the £150 odd I paid for it.
A lot cheaper now aswell

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
at this time in the life of SSDs is speed ... Samsung is still top of the tables, Crucial somewhere in the middle ... my Plextor M5Pro came way ahead of Crucial in the charts over at Tom's Hardware.

I bought on price & guarantee, 5years v 3years can sway a sale ... the MX100 range from Crucial are, in my opinion, a good entry level SSD, the BX is this years model.

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well if you haven't bought one yet, I'd recommend taking a hard look at the Muskin Reactor 1TB SSD.

Seems to be a great bang for buck.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Alf but I can't find any UK dealers selling the Mushkin brand and besides, 1Tb is way more than I need for an SSD. As I outlined, the main reason for me to buy a new SSD is to free up my existing 120Gb SSD for a Netbook I've been given.

In doing so I figured I may as well buy a new one a little bigger at 250Gb. Also, a typical price for a 1Tb SSD in the UK is around £350 - they not be cheap enough for me yet.

Thanks for all the advice everybody else. there's no panic on this purchase but I'll probably buy when a few invoices I've raised recently get settled and the Crucial BX 250Gb is looking like a favourite atm.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I think next year I may jump on the SSD train.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I may as well buy a new one a little bigger at 250Gb. Also, a typical price for a 1Tb SSD in the UK is around £350 - they not be cheap enough for me yet.
Just for info... Amazon.uk are selling a 240 GB Mushkin (£120 free p&p)

Also on Toms Hardware, there is an article about the new Mushkin Striker series SSD which launch in the UK this year.

Oh and hi there Alf, good to see you. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just ordered a Crucial BX 250Gb from Amazon. It cost seventy quid with no postage charge.

After some extensive research online and noting all the comments you folk have kindly made above, I decided to go for the Crucial BX series as it seemed to give the best value for money.

I know it's not the fastest drive on the market but from all I've read the speed difference with the super-fast drives isn't greatly noticeable in a real world scenario. And it will probably be faster than the Corsair 120Gb SSD it will be replacing, which is about 4.5 years old.

I will report back when it's fitted and loaded.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A fine drive Mr F. It will do you proud.. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My shiny new Crucial 250Gb SSD is now purring away at the heart of my machine :)

And guess what? It's faster. I mean, like noticeably faster which I must admit surprised the hell outta me. Most noticeable on boot.

I've put the old Corsair 120Gb SSD into my newly acquired Netbook but that can wait til tomorrow, quite enough shenanigans for one evening.

I was going to post a pic of my hard drive arrangement but I can't seem to post a pic, the new forum keeps telling me there's an error :confused: It's only 536 pixels wide and has a JPG file extension.

Another bug to sort out Ian?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to post a pic of my hard drive arrangement but I can't seem to post a pic, the new forum keeps telling me there's an error :confused: It's only 536 pixels wide and has a JPG file extension.

Another bug to sort out Ian?

Sounds like it could be - could you e-mail me the attachment please and I'll see what happens when I try :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Testing pic upload with Flash Uploader disabled:

disks-jpg.9114

Attachments

• disks.jpg
    disks.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 434

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My Mushkin Chronos De-Lux 240 GB gives me a 7.1 on the Windows 7 assesment thingy. What does yours report ?

£70 is cheap for a 240 GB ssd haven't prices dropped a lot since they came out.
breakfast.gif

Ask a Question