Compaq Presario V6500 DVD/RW Drive Problem...

Reaction score
Well the drive has recently stopped working, when a disc is inserted the light comes on and it sounds like it's reading the disc then it suddenly stops and the light dissapears.

The DVD drive is not shown in My Computer and is not showing in the device manager.

I'm unaware when this has happened, could be any time over the last week and a half, it's pretty annoying as I need to use the drive badly at the minute to practice for my theory test.

Does anyone have any possible solutions/ideas what is wrong with the drive.

Thanks

Reaction score
safcfan4eva said:
Does anyone have any possible solutions/ideas what is wrong with the drive.

Thanks

I have had the same or similar problem on laptops before and Acer are known to have the same, what I have done in the past is to remove the drive and then reinsert it and let it re-install itself. I think, can't quite remebr but there is one screw holding the drive in place on the bottom of your laptopl, unscrew it and slide the drive out Start computer up, then shut it down, then slide the drive back in, refit screw , restart computer and hopefully it sorts itself out and the drive is not faulty...Give that a go

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
A. It's dead, time for a new one. :thumb:

OR

B. It could be the dreaded "UpperFilters" problem ... try the MS Fix;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

... if that don't work, go to plan A

:user:

I tried option B, Randomly after in My Computer the DVD/RW drive showed up but then after putting in a disc the screen went white and the laptop would not respond. So after removing the battery to power up the laptop again the drive is now not showing up again.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, the drive is showing up again in 'Computer' and 'Device Manager', not sure for how long though I've got the feeling that the drive may stop working again in the back of my head.

Thanks for the help again, fingers crossed it keeps working, the good news is I can now start revising my theory.
nod.gif
:D
bowdown.gif

Reaction score
After believing the drive was sorted the drive now appears and dissapears from 'Computer' depending on whether it feels like it when I turn the laptop on. Is the drive dead, does it have a loose connection or is there another issue with it, this is really bugging me at the minute.

Reaction score
Sorry to bump but haven't found a solution to this problem, how easy are the drives to replace, I've replaced drives in towers but never on a laptop and which drive is the one for my laptop.

Many thanks

Ask a Question