help,removing cd/dvd drive

Reaction score
hi,i'm new to pc and was wondering if someone could maybe help me out,ive got a laptop {acer aspire 1690}..the problem is latley when i loaded a disc into the slot i had to push it in very firmly,it "never used to be like that"...now when i try to put a disc in it wont load disc,the small light flashes then the disc gets pushed back out of the slot...this happens all the time i try to put a disc in..tried a few disc thinking it might be a problem with that disc...is it easy enough to remove the cd/dvd rom drive from this type of pc..could it be that the drive is knackerd?...hope someone can help me with this problem.....kind regards theted

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may need to take your laptop to a pc repair shop as removing/installing a new drive is a lot more difficult than doing it for a desktop PC. How old is the Laptop as you may need to take it to an authorized Acer repair shop if under warranty?

Reaction score
feckit said:
You may need to take your laptop to a pc repair shop as removing/installing a new drive is a lot more difficult than doing it for a desktop PC. How old is the Laptop as you may need to take it to an authorized Acer repair shop if under warranty?
..is about 4 years old...

Reaction score
On the base of your Ac*r there is one screw that holds the CD Drive in...Remove this screw and tilt the laptop and the drive should slide out...

Reaction score
Go for it!
Oh and let us know how you get on!!
nod.gif

Reaction score
just a thought guys,would it be possible to use a external cd/dvd drive on my laptop..

Reaction score
theted said:
just a thought guys,would it be possible to use a external cd/dvd drive on my laptop..
To be honest that may be an easier way to go about this.
Have a look HERE

Reaction score
hi,i managed to get a internal dvd/cd writer for for my acer espire notebook [1690]..it fits the slot ok and its recognised when i open "my computer",,the trouble now is when i click to open the disc nothing show's up just a blank page...ive tried dvd movies and music cd,s...hope someone can help me with this problem....kind regard,s john...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Not really my field but see if you need the FIRMWARE or DRIVERS updating for the cd/dvd drive.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I suggest doing what AB says, if the problem still happens, then try reinstalling your OS. if it still happens then there could be something wrong with some other hardware in your laptop.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Reaction score
hi,the guy i bought it from said it was a plug and play,no drivers needed..thanks john:(

Reaction score
Try a reinstall of the OS, but all disk drives still need firmware installed to make them work, if you update the firmware then it can support more disks and imporve compatability.

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Try a reinstall of the OS, but all disk drives still need firmware installed to make them work, if you update the firmware then it can support more disks and imporve compatability.
..thanks wizkid,i did what u said and got the firmware for my dvd/cd writer...all working now..:bow: :bow: :bow: kind regard,s john.

Reaction score
theted said:
..thanks wizkid,i did what u said and got the firmware for my dvd/cd writer...all working now..
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
kind regard,s john.

You're Welcome mate, glad you got it sorted out.

Regards

Ask a Question