Backup Facility

I have just downloaded ntbackup utility tried to save data on a CD recordable
and a CD rewritable and I choose location of drive ie D: and the backup file
name ie backup. Get error of backup file cannot be used 'please ensure it is
a valid path and i have sufficient access' as far as I am aware I do have the
sufficient access, so what do I need to do or am I doing something totally
wrong

Gordon

Tonymartin2 said:
I have just downloaded ntbackup utility tried to save data on a CD
recordable
and a CD rewritable and I choose location of drive ie D: and the backup
file
name ie backup. Get error of backup file cannot be used 'please ensure it
is
a valid path and i have sufficient access' as far as I am aware I do have
the
sufficient access, so what do I need to do or am I doing something totally
wrong

You cannot backup directly to a CD using NTBackup unless it is a CDRW that
has been formatted for packet writing. The built-in Windows XP CD burning
function will not do this - you need a third-party applicaion such as Nero.
Backup to your HDD and burn to a CD afterwards....

Gordon

Tonymartin2 said:
I have just downloaded ntbackup utility tried to save data on a CD
recordable
and a CD rewritable and I choose location of drive ie D: and the backup
file
name ie backup. Get error of backup file cannot be used 'please ensure it
is
a valid path and i have sufficient access' as far as I am aware I do have
the
sufficient access, so what do I need to do or am I doing something totally
wrong

You cannot backup directly to a CD using NTBackup unless it is a CDRW that
has been formatted for packet writing. The built-in Windows XP CD burning
function will not do this - you need a third-party applicaion such as Nero.
Backup to your HDD and burn to a CD afterwards....

Thank You

Gordon said:
You cannot backup directly to a CD using NTBackup unless it is a CDRW that
has been formatted for packet writing. The built-in Windows XP CD burning
function will not do this - you need a third-party applicaion such as Nero.
Backup to your HDD and burn to a CD afterwards....

Rock

I have just downloaded ntbackup utility tried to save data on a CD
recordable
and a CD rewritable and I choose location of drive ie D: and the backup
file
name ie backup. Get error of backup file cannot be used 'please ensure it
is
a valid path and i have sufficient access' as far as I am aware I do have
the
sufficient access, so what do I need to do or am I doing something totally
wrong

In addition to Gordon's reply, even with 3rd party packet writing software
Ntbackup can only write to a single CD, it cannot span CDs. It also can't
write to any form of DVD. Ntbackup is an old legacy app ported from NT.
There are better backup solutions available.

Uncle Jaque in Maine

Well now; THAT explains why I've never been able to actually back anything up
with this dandy little MS utility!

Is it also known as "Windows Backup Utility", 1.20MB?

'Cause that's what I just REMOVED, Purged, and cleansed from my system.

Aahhh!... I feel a whole lot better already! {B^{D~

Might anyone suggests a "3rd Party" (Sort of like the Constitution Party,
come to think of it...) utility - preferably FREEware - that actually WORKS?

bxb7668

"Uncle Jaque in Maine" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Well now; THAT explains why I've never been able to actually back
anything up
with this dandy little MS utility!

Is it also known as "Windows Backup Utility", 1.20MB?

'Cause that's what I just REMOVED, Purged, and cleansed from my
system.

Aahhh!... I feel a whole lot better already! {B^{D~

Might anyone suggests a "3rd Party" (Sort of like the Constitution
Party,
come to think of it...) utility - preferably FREEware - that
actually WORKS?
It's not free, but I really like Acronis TrueImage.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Brian Bygland

Big Al

wrote in message

It's not free, but I really like Acronis TrueImage.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Brian Bygland

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
This is a link to seagate's download center. Disk wizard looks to be a
copy of Trueimage. Give it a test drive. If you like it you might
want to buy Trueimage. This works, you might not have features, but
it works. I tried it once, but can't say if its limited. I bought
True Image 9 when I found it on clearance sale for 4$. Ver 11 is out
now. Trueimage does both files and Disk backup (images). The latter
is better if you don't know the diff.

I also like Stompsoft Backupmypc version 6. But this is strictly a
file backup, not image backup. Its an old copy I got maybe 5 years
ago, Old tried and true thing. But unfortunately I'm not much help
with the free side of this question.