Who wants a copy of the PL2004 CD?

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher wrote:

I've mailed CDs to all the addresses I received via email. CDs went out
today to Semolina Pilchard, Josiah Jenkins, PuppyKatt and Steven Burn.

AFAIK the CD request list below is up-to-date. If I left anyone off
please post again.

If there is a great rush of requests tomorrow I'll update the request
list. If not, this will be the last list I post.

looking ahead. . .

I *suspect* that the majority of requests from people who are *not*
regulars in ACF will be sent to the volunteers with email addresses on
the web site. I could add a note saying "send requests by email *only*
if you live in the designated country/area" but I'm not sure people
would pay much attention.

Would someone be willing to act as coordinator (this could be done by a
burner or by someone else). It would involve forwarding CD requests to
the burner nearest to the requester's address. I could show your munged
email address on the web page where I'm showing the burners addies and
note something along the lines of - for requests in other countries
contact:

I'd like some feedback from the burners - any other ideas on ways to
coordinate the burning for email requests - thoughts on whether
coordination will be needed etc. etc.

Susan

===============

New requests - please include:
your country
an email address: MyName AT Somewhere DOT net (or similar)

Summary of requests to date

NOTE: People who volunteered as burners are *not* listed here.

------------------
2004-04-02 (day 1)
-----------------

From: "TINY" <[email protected]>
I'm in U.S.A. New Jersey
TOTINY07753@+HOTMAIL.COM

From: (e-mail address removed)
Allen Tomlinson
(e-mail address removed)
remove (now) from above

From: (e-mail address removed) (Slim97477)

From: "dansheen" <[email protected]>
Oregon US

From: Steve H <[email protected]>
Email: anyoldname(*AT*)gmx(*dot*)co(*dot*)uk
in the UK.

From: "Thip" <[email protected]>
USA - ksbwhite (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:42:19 GMT
From: Cathe B <[email protected]>

------------------
2004-04-03 (day 2)
------------------

From: "Bobby" <[email protected]>
Georgia USA
bobby02003 at earthlink.net

From: "dansheen" <[email protected]>
Oregon US
(e-mail address removed)

JnJ <[email protected]>
UK.
address jim at jimmaestro dot com

Fess <[email protected]>
UK.
address: tizme at blueyonder dot co dot uk

tfog <[email protected]>
Email: tfogATgawabDOTcom
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

(e-mail address removed)
lpatter at bigfoot dot com
Virginia/USA

(e-mail address removed)
US Indiana
newfie AT MyRealBox DOT com

(e-mail address removed)
I'm in Scotland.
(e-mail address removed)
and remove the "no-spam" to use.

(e-mail address removed)
Gale in Oregon
gale100 at earthlink.net

(e-mail address removed)
Gina Ohio

------------------
2004-04-04 (day 3)
------------------

Susan
(e-mail address removed)
KY

Zenobia<[email protected]>
I'm in the UK and can be contacted via my email address.

============

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
If there is a great rush of requests tomorrow I'll update the request
list. If not, this will be the last list I post.

I won't be actively looking for CD requests. If I'm contacted for a CD
I'll fulfill that request.
looking ahead. . .

I *suspect* that the majority of requests from people who are *not*
regulars in ACF will be sent to the volunteers with email addresses on
the web site. I could add a note saying "send requests by email *only*
if you live in the designated country/area" but I'm not sure people
would pay much attention.

That disclaimer should be added whether people pay attention to it or
not.
We're providing a *volunteer* service, not a business service.
Would someone be willing to act as coordinator (this could be done by a
burner or by someone else). It would involve forwarding CD requests to
the burner nearest to the requester's address. I could show your munged
email address on the web page where I'm showing the burners addies and
note something along the lines of - for requests in other countries
contact:

There's *no way* I'm volunteering for this. Whoever decides to be a
coordinator would also be volunteering to be 'technical support'. I
suppose that's something we hadn't considered.
I'd like some feedback from the burners - any other ideas on ways to
coordinate the burning for email requests - thoughts on whether
coordination will be needed etc. etc.

OK, I don't know how to set this up... but, we could have dropdown lists
on the webpage that send email requests to the proper burner.

Susan Bugher

Ben said:
That disclaimer should be added whether people pay attention to it or
not.
We're providing a *volunteer* service, not a business service.

I list the country *first* - which should give them a clue. Any
additional notes you burners want are fine by me.
There's *no way* I'm volunteering for this. Whoever decides to be a
coordinator would also be volunteering to be 'technical support'. I
suppose that's something we hadn't considered.

There's *no* need for burners to respond to a request for 'technical
support' or other inappropriate requests.

FWIW - the PL links button doesn't get a lot of messages and rarely is
there is an inappropriate request - I usually ignore those. . .
OK, I don't know how to set this up... but, we could have dropdown lists
on the webpage that send email requests to the proper burner.

Do you mean lists that let them choose by country or state?

I may be worrying about problems that won't materialize. OTOH I think
kicking *possible* problems around a little bit can't hurt, might help. . .

Susan

Mark S.

Someone wrote...The CD is currently being uploaded to the above address. Maybe by lunch
time tomorrow it will be done. My upload speed is slooow here. But
seriously I'm figuring it will be done about 7 AM Tuesday morning
(California time)

Mark S.

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
Do you mean lists that let them choose by country or state?

Yes, I think something like that would be nice.
I may be worrying about problems that won't materialize. OTOH
I think kicking *possible* problems around a little bit can't
hurt, might help. . .

True, plus we all know that idle hands are the devil's workshop.
So, it keeps us from being out on the street causing trouble. ;)

Ben Cooper

My copy of the CD just arrived, so I'll be getting copies out to
everyone on my list this week.

Susan Bugher

Ben said:
My whole interest in this project is to get the software
into the hands of people who don't have access to high
bandwidth connections or would have high costs associated
with connection time.

That was the way we spelled it out in our original goals - but I've
broadened my vision - now I'd like see that those poor benighted souls
who have never heard of Freeware or the Pricelessware site - and they
are many - have copies too. ;)

A few days ago REMbranded said something along the lines of "we should
see that the CD goes forth and multiplies". I agree.

I've had a chance to get a head start. I took one to the library and
suggested they loan it out. I gave copies to the two clerks at my local
post office - they see a lot of people every day and I hope will tell
them about the CD. I plan to drop by the senior centers with copies. . .

I just spent a little time at the Software Freedom Day site. Gordon
posted the URL a few days ago:

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/

IMO we are *way* ahead of them. They're *planning* - we're *doing*. ;)

Three PL2004 CDs have reached their destination - the others should be
close behind. We'll have an ISO available for download *soon*. Let's
make *lots* and *lots* of copies. :)

Susan

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
That was the way we spelled it out in our original goals - but I've
broadened my vision - now I'd like see that those poor benighted souls
who have never heard of Freeware or the Pricelessware site - and they
are many - have copies too. ;)

You've become a crusader! ;)

I think I'll stick with my original goal, though. :)

Susan Bugher

Ted said:
Please add me to the list. Thanx.
Ted

Hi Ted,

New requests - please include:
your country
an email address: MyName AT Somewhere DOT net (or similar)

Susan

Susan Bugher

Ben said:
You've become a crusader! ;)

I want to convert the heathen masses who believe only in shareware
because no one has ever shown them the light! ;)
I think I'll stick with my original goal, though. :)

We're going in the same general direction - just following slightly
different paths. Wave to me occasionally as we march along. . . :)

Susan

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
I want to convert the heathen masses who believe only in shareware
because no one has ever shown them the light! ;)

Ha! Stupid heathens.
We're going in the same general direction - just following slightly
different paths. Wave to me occasionally as we march along. . . :)

<waving> I will. In fact, I might even stop to chat a while. :)

REM

Susan Bugher <[email protected]> wrote:
I want to convert the heathen masses who believe only in shareware
because no one has ever shown them the light! ;)

How about a mention\link on the CD page listing the better programs
that were not included on the CD, like Kerio 2.1.5, AVG and WS_FTP?

These are my faves, but the redistribution was not allowed.

I think I'll make some CD's and try to leave some at the city and
campus library too. If a few people check them out I'm sure they will
point friends to ACF.

Susan Bugher

REM said:
How about a mention\link on the CD page listing the better programs
that were not included on the CD, like Kerio 2.1.5, AVG and WS_FTP?

I don't think I should single out the more popular programs - the CD
page *does* have a link to the web page that shows which programs are
included and which were omitted from the CD.
I think I'll make some CD's and try to leave some at the city and
campus library too. If a few people check them out I'm sure they will
point friends to ACF.

Good plan. :)

Susan

tomZ

Susan said:
Could we have a show of hands please?

The volunteer burners should have their copies some time next week.

Let's start them out with a back-log of orders. ;)

Susan

Oh yes please!
And I can return the favour with a few burns of my own :)

Ontario, Canada
MyPhonyName at MyRealBox dot com

Better late then nerver,
tomZ

--
If you spam my mailbox, you agree to accept any response I deem
appropriate.

Anonymous

(snip)
|I've had a chance to get a head start. I took one to the library and
|suggested they loan it out. I gave copies to the two clerks at my local
|post office - they see a lot of people every day and I hope will tell
|them about the CD. I plan to drop by the senior centers with copies. . .
(snip)

If you want to get the CD out to libraries you should take a
look at this site.
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Libweb/Public_main.html It's a list
of the libraries that have web sites in the USA. A good start to
get their snail mail addreses. Some of larger ones might even be
willing to host an ISO of the CD so that it can be downloaded by
library patrons.

Don't forget these places as well.

The Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov

Smithsonian Institution
http://www.si.edu

Big Brothers Big Sisters
http://www.bbbsa.org

Boy Scouts of America
http://www.scouting.org

Boys & Girls Clubs of America
http://www.bgca.org/

4-H Club
http://www.4-h.org

Salvation Army
http://www1.salvationarmy.org

YMCA
http://www.ymca.net

I think there are more places that might be interested. College
and high school libraries, computer departments at schools, rec
centers, churches, hotels, motels,. Even prisons and juvenile
detentions have computer classes.

-=-