To badly go where no OS has gone before.....

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Open source corn cobs are rougher.. I would suggest extreme caution while
following your own advice.. :)

MICHAEL

LOL!

You do have a sense humor.

-Michael

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User said:
Open source corn cobs are rougher.. I would suggest extreme caution while following your own
advice.. :)

MICHAEL

You are most welcome!

I'm happy to know that you actually
appreciate a funny moment or two.
These forums, life... some just take
it all too seriously.

-Michael

progressive realization

who said anything about opensource?

I didnt say anything about that...

anyway I really have to go, please let this thread die...

My best wishes for your efforts.. just keep an open mind.

arachnid

Open source corn cobs are rougher.. I would suggest extreme caution while
following your own advice.. :)

Pure FUD! Open-source corn cobs are lubricated! ;-)

BillW50

"The man from Finland!" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Yah, Linux is priceless as it doesn't cost anything. Everything is
done with pure joy and fun of making a better operating system than
Windows. Everyone knows we have succeeded. Windows looks like really
ridiculous and expensive piece of software. Please don't buy any of
that!. Ubuntu means hunanity and it is really a differenet world from
Microsoft. There's NO humanity in Microsoft!

:
Exactly as
alias said!
software.

Yeah I have been hearing this since 1991. And in Torvalds book, he
claims he uses Windows. So the author of Linux uses Linux. That doesn't
say much for Linux, does it?

And I won't care if 99% of the world uses Linux, it is worthless to me
until third party developers start selling hardware with Linux in mind.
As I am not fooled with Linux is free, if I have to write my own TV card
and VoIP phone drivers for the stupid Linux. I played that game with
OS/2 and I ain't writing any more drivers. As I have far better things
to do with my time. <grin>

With Windows, you buy the box and if it doesn't work, you take it back
to the store and get another one that works. With Linux, it is up to you
and you alone to make it work. Blah! I'm too old that that stuff.

All that DRM stuff in Viista will keep you busy while you are hailing the
Windows platform. You cannot really be real. I cannot understand that anyone
is really pro-Microsoft. You all are really working FOR Microsoft!!! Please
tell me how much you are earning. Maybe I could join you?

Roy Coorne

BillW50 said:
"The man from Finland!"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message

Yeah I have been hearing this since 1991. And in Torvalds book, he
claims he uses Windows. So the author of Linux uses Linux. That
doesn't say much for Linux, does it?

Ha? Linus uses Linux? And Windows?

And I won't care if 99% of the world uses Linux, it is worthless to
me until third party developers start selling hardware with Linux in
mind. As I am not fooled with Linux is free, if I have to write my
own TV card and VoIP phone drivers for the stupid Linux. I played
that game with OS/2 and I ain't writing any more drivers. As I have
far better things to do with my time. <grin>

With Windows, you buy the box and if it doesn't work, you take it
back to the store and get another one that works.
Really?

With Linux, it is up to you and you alone to make it work. Blah! I'm
too old that that stuff.

You may try openSUSE - it may turn out to be good for you:
<http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/business/stories/165792.html>

Roy

Mike

The man from Finland! said:
All that DRM stuff in Viista will keep you busy while you are hailing the
Windows platform. You cannot really be real. I cannot understand that
anyone
is really pro-Microsoft. You all are really working FOR Microsoft!!!
Please
tell me how much you are earning. Maybe I could join you?

I don't believe you either. No on can really be pro-Linux. You are
really working FOR Ubuntu!!! Please tell me how much you are earning!!

Mike

Dale

I would make the switch to an alternative OS for my media center
applications if there was an alternative OS that could play high quality
media on a high quality device. If the Ubuntu gurus are smart, they'd focus
on media. As it is now, I don't see the support to make it worth while.

Dale

Dale

What I can't figure out is why people who have such contempt for Microsoft
are posting messages on Microsoft owned news groups. If you really don't
like Microsoft, why would you hang out here? Why not just walk away?

Dale

Colin Barnhorst

One of the challenges for the alternative operating systems is device
drivers, especially proprietary ones, because the GPL apparently does not
allow proprietary code to be bundled into a distribution.

Poprivet

wrote in message

Yeah I have been hearing this since 1991. And in Torvalds book, he
claims he uses Windows. So the author of Linux uses Linux. That
doesn't say much for Linux, does it?

And I won't care if 99% of the world uses Linux, it is worthless to me
until third party developers start selling hardware with Linux in
mind. As I am not fooled with Linux is free, if I have to write my
own TV card and VoIP phone drivers for the stupid Linux. I played
that game with OS/2 and I ain't writing any more drivers. As I have
far better things to do with my time. <grin>

With Windows, you buy the box and if it doesn't work, you take it back
to the store and get another one that works. With Linux, it is up to
you and you alone to make it work. Blah! I'm too old that that stuff.

Bravo! And it's not your age; that's just the way it is. I got fooled into
trying the Linux "thing" myself and when it turned out I couldn't use all my
hardware because of the lack of drivers, I had to abandon it. There is
nothing precisely WRONG with Linux; it's just that, as with most anything,
it's meant for a certain segment of the population. It has a niche, and
does well there. But for the pure "users" out there, which are by far the
majority, something like XP is much better, as you described.

I've found that most people who make statements such as the cretins above
have done, are:
1. Actually using windows but want to be noticed;
2. Are power users who can write software and want to brag;
3. Are nothing but parrots;
4. And finally are usually Neanderthals and troglodytes on top of it all.

Yer NEVER too old, long's you can THINK like a 17 year old; only difference
is, they haven't done the stuff yet that you've done where you've done it
and aren't amazed by it anymore < G >!! OH; maybe that's just ME!! I
aint's good's I once was but I'm's good once as I ever was!

Regards,

Pop`