Pricelessware CD

Susan Bugher

REM said:
I was curious if you noticed that CryptEdit has several plugins that
go with the bare program install.

There was some earlier discussion about how much to include. Some of the
PL2004 programs come in 16 different flavors (XnView is a good example)
and/or have 80 different language packs. . .

IIRC the consensus was "don't sweat the *small* stuff" - individuals can
download add-ons as needed. IMHO any other approach is too complicated.

Susan

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
There was some earlier discussion about how much to include. Some of the
PL2004 programs come in 16 different flavors (XnView is a good example)
and/or have 80 different language packs. . .

IIRC the consensus was "don't sweat the *small* stuff" - individuals can
download add-ons as needed. IMHO any other approach is too
complicated.

For XnView I only grabbed the MacOSX, Windows 3.x and
Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP versions.

For AllChars I grabbed all the Windows versions and the
patch.

For Blender I grabbed all the versions.

For any program that was available as an executable Setup
and as a ZIP I grabbed both.

Susan Bugher

Amen to that. :)
Well, I sat down at my desk, prepared to begin more
downloading and I see it's already finished.
Damn, that was fast! Thanks for all the help!

OK, I've got-
Business-Home
Desktop
Graphics
Multimedia

I haven't checked EULAs yet, but after I've finished doing
that I'll burn the CD and send off an email to Susan.
I'll also post back what I find.

Super! :) But why not send me the programs you downloaded ASAP. I can
omit programs as necessary when I assemble the CD.

not that I don't trust the postal service to be prompt and efficient. .
.. ;)

Susan

Susan Bugher

Ben said:
For XnView I only grabbed the MacOSX, Windows 3.x and
Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP versions.

For AllChars I grabbed all the Windows versions and the
patch.

For Blender I grabbed all the versions.

For any program that was available as an executable Setup
and as a ZIP I grabbed both.

Hope I can fit everything on to the CD. . .

I have a feeling it's going to be full, full, full. :)

Susan

Mark S.

Subject: Re: Pricelessware CD
From: "Ben Cooper" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

SNIP

For AllChars I grabbed all the Windows versions and the
patch.

For Blender I grabbed all the versions.

For any program that was available as an executable Setup
and as a ZIP I grabbed both.

For he programs which I downloaded I stuck to what was listed on the
Pricelessware website. If it had a link (with a filename) I downloaded
it and if not I didn't. I still ended up with 348 Megs. That will be
one FULL PRICELESSWARE CD!

Mark S.

Steven Burn

Mark S. said:
For he programs which I downloaded I stuck to what was listed on the
Pricelessware website. If it had a link (with a filename) I downloaded
it and if not I didn't. I still ended up with 348 Megs. That will be
one FULL PRICELESSWARE CD!

Mark S.

errr.... don't CD's hokld 700MB?.... (I know mine do <gg>)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
Super! :) But why not send me the programs you downloaded ASAP. I can
omit programs as necessary when I assemble the CD.

not that I don't trust the postal service to be prompt and
efficient. .

I just finished checking the EULAs and I've sent you an
email.
Some programs had no EULAs to read before installing the
program, some had none at all.
Here's what I found from the EULAs that had restrictions
concerning distribution.

e-Sword-
"You may not charge for the program itself, nor may you
charge for any type of duplication costs,..."

ESBCalc-
"...if you wish to include it on a CD that is sold at a
reasonable price please notify us of your intent by email -
we normally are happy to grant permission."

X-Fonter-
"Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this program,
or any portion of it, may result in severe criminal and
civil penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum
extent possible under law.
You may not:
5. Distribute or re-distrubute the licensed version of this
software or the license itself without written permission
from the author."

AI Roboform-
"Customer shall not:
(c) transfer, sell, assign or otherwise convey Program to
another
party without Siber Systems prior written consent;"

Zoner Draw 3-
"Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this program,
or any portion of it, may result in severe civil and
criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to maximum extent
possible under law."

GSpot-
"b) Distribution (other than single copy) via removable
storage or other physical media (e.g., floppy disks,
CD-ROMs, etc.) requires the express permission of the
AUTHOR. This includes, but is not limited to, shareware and
freeware collection disks, disks distributed with published
magazines, etc."

Exact Audio Copy-
"* Spread it together with other programs on CD-ROM, web
sites or any
other media without my permission. It is allowed to put
it up on free
FTP sites or make links directly to my homepage. Of
course you can
pass a copy of it to your family and friends."

TMPGenc-
"2) Prohibition of re-distribution
It is prohibited to redistribute the software and it's copy
or components in any means. We never permit anyone to sell
free version of TMPGEnc even as a part of product."

AP Guitar Tuner-
"THIS SOFTWARE SHALL NOT BE USED, INCLUDED WITH OR BUNDLED
WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE OR PRODUCT WITHOUT A SPECIFIC
LICENSE AUTHORIZED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF API."

Winamp Classic-
"Licensee may not redistribute the Product. In the event
Licensee wishes to redistribute or sublicense the Product,
either for profit or otherwise, Licensee must first obtain
written permission from Nullsoft to do so."

VanBasco's Kareoke Player-
"(b) You may not:
(v) redistribute the SOFTWARE (i.e. give copies of the
SOFTWARE to third parties) in any form and under any
circumstances whatsoever, unless you have obtained prior
written consent from VANBASCO."

Zoom Player-
"Distribution or Sale of this program on digital media such
as
Floppy Disks, DVD Discs, CD Discs and other transferrable or
removable media without the Author's consent is prohibited."

Ben Cooper

Mark said:
says...

For he programs which I downloaded I stuck to what was listed on the
Pricelessware website. If it had a link (with a filename) I downloaded
it and if not I didn't. I still ended up with 348 Megs. That will be
one FULL PRICELESSWARE CD!

I ended up with 284M. Some may have to be removed to comply
with Licenses, though.

Keenan P.

Hi POKO,

I don't *do* breakfast. How about my sister's address? Bruce Mines is
much closer to you. ;)

BTW - I checked and you were right about the Freeware Whacko wet Tshirt
rule - did you see the footnote - about having to wear the wet Tshirt
outdoors all day on January 1 (June 1 in Oz)?

Susan
Damn,
I once ran out of gas going to Sault St Marie and slept at the Esso till
it opened up in the morning - I could have had tea with sis and been on
my merry way.
POKO
--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design

Susan Bugher

Ben said:
I just finished checking the EULAs and I've sent you an
email.
Some programs had no EULAs to read before installing the
program, some had none at all.
Here's what I found from the EULAs that had restrictions
concerning distribution.

<SNIP>

Thank you! Thank you! I'll email the authors and ask for permission to
redistribute (unless it's a complete no-hoper). Will keep the group
posted on the results.

Susan

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
<SNIP>

Thank you! Thank you! I'll email the authors and ask for permission to
redistribute (unless it's a complete no-hoper). Will keep the group
posted on the results.

An addendum ( I forgot to include one line and I want it to
be clear):

Exact Audio Copy-
"Even if you are free to copy the program for private
purposes, it is not
allowed to
* Spread it together with other programs on CD-ROM, web
sites or any
other media without my permission. It is allowed to put
it up on free
FTP sites or make links directly to my homepage. Of
course you can
pass a copy of it to your family and friends."

Glenn Crouch

Susan Bugher said:
Thank you! Thank you! I'll email the authors and ask for permission to
redistribute (unless it's a complete no-hoper). Will keep the group
posted on the results.

Susan,

I'm happy for our Freeware ESBCalc (and ESBUnitConv) to be included on such a CD :)

Glenn Crouch mailto:[email protected]
ESB Consultancy http://www.esbconsult.com
Home to ESB Calculators, ESBPCS, ESBStats and ESBPDF
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

bambam

IMO it's a *disability*.

Yes, that's more like it.
Do you think we qualify for relief payments? ;)

No payments in this group, but I believe good things happen to good
people, so maybe this Christmas Saint Nick will bring you a high
speed connection. ;)

Phred

Hi POKO,

I don't *do* breakfast. How about my sister's address? Bruce Mines is
much closer to you. ;)

BTW - I checked and you were right about the Freeware Whacko wet Tshirt
rule - did you see the footnote - about having to wear the wet Tshirt
outdoors all day on January 1 (June 1 in Oz)?

Actually, July is colder on average. "Christmas in July" is becoming
quite popular -- but strictly speaking I reckon it should be 25 June
as that's nearer our winter solstice and more in line with your pagan
celebration too. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

dszady

[...]
Who do I have to kill for high speed?
slowPOKO

I just looked at the map. Maybe after the snow melts in July you can take a
boat trip to the mainland to get a satellite system.
It just got done snowing there it looks like. Heading straight for us.

Keenan P.

97hk66302 said:
bambam wrote:

news:MPG.1abc6e9149bbaac2989712 @news.vianet.ca:
[...]
Who do I have to kill for high speed?
slowPOKO

I just looked at the map. Maybe after the snow melts in July you can take a
boat trip to the mainland to get a satellite system.
It just got done snowing there it looks like. Heading straight for us.
Ended up in the ditch today when attempting to go out for lunch. Pickup
truck with three burly islanders came to our rescue. Snow - ya, I've
seen enuf. I give up! Hurry up Spring.
POKOoutofditch
--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design
Manitoulin Island, Canada
http://manitoulinislandwebdesign.it-mate.co.uk/
(e-mail address removed)

Tim R.

Ended up in the ditch today when attempting to go out for lunch. Pickup
truck with three burly islanders came to our rescue. Snow - ya, I've
seen enuf. I give up! Hurry up Spring.
POKOoutofditch

See, you're on the wrong side of the country. You need to be out here
in BC where it's been spring for a couple of weeks!

tim

Keenan P.

See, you're on the wrong side of the country. You need to be out here
in BC where it's been spring for a couple of weeks!

tim
The boss wanted to retire here Tim. I let her make all the important
decisions and then blame her when they backfire. That's why I was in the
driver's seat and she was outside pushing. Good thing for her those 3
burly islanders came by, eh.
POKO