[PL] PL2006 CD - Seeders needed

GoodTime Barnie

Barnie
In Utorrent click Options / Preferences / Netwrok Options
You can set your port there.
As for your router it depends on which one you have, and I'm hoping you know
how to do whatever one you do have :)
Ryno
Thks Ryno found it and will work it out
GoodTime barnie

Mark Warner

Robert said:
We are ready to seed with a 24/24 open connexion.
Susan, emeil me robegea[AT]gmail[DOT]com if you still nedd help.
Regards,
Robert Egea

Just do it. You don't need permission.

Susan Bugher

Mark said:
Robert Egea wrote:
We are ready to seed with a 24/24 open connexion.
Susan, emeil me robegea[AT]gmail[DOT]com if you still nedd help.
Regards,
Robert Egea
Just do it. You don't need permission.

But he does need a copy of the ISO file in order to start out as a
seeder. Starting out with a full copy of the file means he can upload to
others *without* needing to download first. That will help speed up the
torrent.

I'm still downloading (and uploading) - seeing better download speeds
today than I did yesterday - many thanks to all those who have a full
copy of the file and are staying on-line to share it.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

David said:
I don't think I'll bother with torrents again. The CD iso has at this
point in time been downloading for over fifteen hours. I have
downloaded 641 MB and uploaded 396 MB. The speed averaged in the range
of 1 to 20 KBps rather than the hundred+ I am used to. I do not know
what I did wrong or how the throughput can be improved. The same thing
happened using Bit Torrent at an earlier date. I thought at the time
it was due to the MTU being set too low. This experience has soured me
on the whole process.

I don't know what download speeds are "normal" with a bit torrent.
Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this. I *suspect* the speed
depends on the ratio of seeders to downloaders. IOW - the more people
seeding the better. I know HTTP downloads slow way down if many people
are downloading the same file. . .
I will leave my machine running as a seed to assist others. I am
uploading to a maximum of 70 KBps.

Thank you. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helen

I downloaded early this A.M. ...am seeding...apparently some have already finished
and others have started... I've had it seeding all day...will continue...unless a
thunderstorm (only rain is forecasted) rolls in. Otherwise ...24/7 ... actually for
the week-end and Monday... that's 24 hrs for Saturday, Sunday and Monday ... off at
6:00 A.M. on Tuesday. Enjoy.

Helen

Susan Bugher

Jake said:
Where do I get the ISO ? I have 5Mbs to share. UTorrent is installed and
awaiting!

Send me an email via mailto:[email protected] and I'll send
you a download link when I have one to offer.

*or* - and this is probably the better way at this point - get the file
via the bit torrent. Instructions follow. . .

1. download µTorrent
http://www.utorrent.com/
µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

2. No installation is needed. Put the file where you want it and start
it running.

3. In the file menu select "add torrent from URL"

4. paste this URL into the URL box:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/PL2006_CDISO.iso.torrent

5. It may be several minute before uTorrent finds the download - be patient.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

2ndopinion said:
I'm currently downloading and will seed until the tree grows old...like
me...
I have a 3meg cable connection that I leave on all the time so I hope
this will help in the seeding...

Thank you. :)

It would be nice to be able to distribute the PL2006 via bit torrent all
through 2006. It looks like we'll be able to do that. There's already
one offer to keep uTorrent running full-time throughout the year. That's
all that's required to access the download but additional "always
on-line" seeds would no doubt be helpful. FWIW - requests for the HTML
download link dropped sharply last year after the initial rush for the
PL2005 CD. Based on that I don't think there would be a *lot* of uploads
- IOW - I don't think those later uploads would consume a lot of
bandwidth. . .

also. . . changing the subject slightly

I've added some basic information about the bit torrent to the ACF wiki
- please add any advice/comments that you think might be helpful.

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/BitTorrent

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

SYSYPHUS' SISTER

We're ready to begin distributing the PL2006 ISO file. I have a list of
host sites and volunteer burners - they will get early access to the
file. Access will be limited for a while to keep the download speed high.

*FIRST* access goes to anyone who has a high-speed connection and is
willing to seed the bit torrent. Super high-speed is preferred.

Please post if you're ready to start downloading NOW and/or email me via
the Pricelessware links button. mailto:[email protected]

TIA :)

Susan
Susan:
ISO downloaded and burned to CD. Created torrent from ISO and ready
to seed via Azureus.

SYSYPHUS' SISTER

SYSYPHUS' SISTER

We're on our way. :) :) :)

Ryno's downloaded the file and is seeding the torrent.

I think it would help a LOT to have more seeders ASAP. IOW - people who
download via HTTP and seed the torrent without downloading from it. Any
volunteers?

If you want to start downloading the PL2006 ISO via bit torrent:

1. download µTorrent (if you haven't already).
http://www.utorrent.com/
µTorrent 1.3 (115 KB)
http://www.utorrent.com/download/1.3/utorrent.exe

2. No installation is needed. Put the file where you want it and start
it running.

3. In the file menu select "add torrent from URL"

4. paste this URL into the URL box:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/PL2006_CDISO.iso.torrent

5. It may be several minute before uTorrent finds the download - be
patient.

Susan

Sorry about previous post with Azureus--now redone using Utorrent and
seeding successfully. (will let run indefinately)

Hope this helps!

SYSYPHUS' SISTER

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
Thank you. :)

It would be nice to be able to distribute the PL2006 via bit torrent all
through 2006. It looks like we'll be able to do that. There's already
one offer to keep uTorrent running full-time throughout the year. That's
all that's required to access the download but additional "always
on-line" seeds would no doubt be helpful. FWIW - requests for the HTML
download link dropped sharply last year after the initial rush for the
PL2005 CD. Based on that I don't think there would be a *lot* of uploads
- IOW - I don't think those later uploads would consume a lot of
bandwidth. . .

I can probably leave it running indefinitely on a 100Mb/s link, either
via torrent or HTTP, depending on the monthly bandwidth utilization.

I'm not expecting it will be a problem unless we start approaching the
terabyte/month range.

Al Klein

I have plenty of bandwidth and disk space on my server, so consider it
seeded 24/7 except for crashes. Someone's taking chunks at the
moment, but I've had a dozen peers and more at times since I started
downloading it last night. (No idea how long it took - I guess a
couple of hours. I went to sleep soon after I started it.)

Al Klein

I don't know what download speeds are "normal" with a bit torrent.
Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this.

With a cable connection I get in the 250 kB-300kB range.
I *suspect* the speed depends on the ratio of seeders to downloaders. IOW - the more people
seeding the better.

It depends, for the downloader, on how many seeders you can get chunks
from and how many peers you're seeding to. Share and your speed goes
up. The more you share, the more it goes up. Right now someone's
downloading from me at 1.5kB. Either he has a very slow connection or
he's not seeding.
I know HTTP downloads slow way down if many people
are downloading the same file. . .

One file being downloaded from one drive, which is why torrent works
so well - you're downloading from just about everyone who's seeding.

One thing that slows people downloading - if you're behind a router,
or a modem doing address translation - you MUST open at least one TCP
port for µTorrent to work. It needs a port to use for incoming
connections - peers using you as a seed.

OT Alert:

If anyone needs help with that, follow the instructions in the FAQ and
go to <http://www.portforward.com>. (Look for µTorrent under the "U"s
- it's listed as UTorrent.) Don't be afraid that the question you're
going to ask is stupid, or that you'll be laughed at. We (the
moderators) at portforward like helping people. If you have a
problem, ask,

(If any one sees a weird symbol in front of the word "torrent" in this
post, it's the unicode character 0181 - the "micro" symbol. You're
probably using a Mac.)

That sounds like a good clip - the other guy (or gal) probably isn't
downloading any faster.

Susan Bugher

Al said:
I have plenty of bandwidth and disk space on my server, so consider it
seeded 24/7 except for crashes. Someone's taking chunks at the
moment, but I've had a dozen peers and more at times since I started
downloading it last night. (No idea how long it took - I guess a
couple of hours. I went to sleep soon after I started it.)

Thank you Al. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

someotherdude

Al Klein said:
Right now someone's
downloading from me at 1.5kB. Either he has a very slow connection or
he's not seeding.

I would be one of those slowpokes on dial-up...it's gonna take me a few days
at this rate, but I'm willing to wait :)

At the very least I'll leave my torrent client running whenever I'm online
over the next few weeks so others can pull a few bits from me. Anything to
help the cause.

And thanks to Susan for all your work with this and mucho thanks to the
seeders as well!

GoodTime Barnie

One file being downloaded from one drive, which is why torrent works
so well - you're downloading from just about everyone who's seeding.

One thing that slows people downloading - if you're behind a router,
or a modem doing address translation - you MUST open at least one TCP
port for µTorrent to work. It needs a port to use for incoming
connections - peers using you as a seed.

OT Alert:

If anyone needs help with that, follow the instructions in the FAQ and
go to <http://www.portforward.com>. (Look for µTorrent under the "U"s
- it's listed as UTorrent.) Don't be afraid that the question you're
going to ask is stupid, or that you'll be laughed at. We (the
moderators) at portforward like helping people. If you have a
problem, ask,

Thanks a bunch for this Al. I had my router set wrong. Was downloading but
next to nothing going out. Checked the page you mentioned and now it's
fixed. Going to go over it once more to maybe get a bit more speed out .
However Sasktel's upload speeds are BAD.

Anyway you were a big help. My puter was also just crawling, couldn't even
play hearts and since the changes its back to normal.
Thanks again
GoodTime Barnie

BEGEs

Susan Bugher said:
We're ready to begin distributing the PL2006 ISO file. I have a list of
host sites and volunteer burners - they will get early access to the file.
Access will be limited for a while to keep the download speed high.

*FIRST* access goes to anyone who has a high-speed connection and is
willing to seed the bit torrent. Super high-speed is preferred.

Please post if you're ready to start downloading NOW and/or email me via
the Pricelessware links button. mailto:[email protected]

TIA :)

Susan
I have 10MB/s and let people http/ftp download during off-business hours
(evenings & weekends). I will post in acf when I´m ready and they will have
to let me know via acf their email ( xxxdotxxatxxdotxx) to get download
information