[PL] PL2006 Discussion: INTERNET

Susan Bugher

October 15 - October 31, 2005 - Program nominations, seconds and program
discussion.

We have entered the program nomination period. *Late* additions to the
nominations list are permitted if the *group* feels a valuable program
has been overlooked.

Please review the programs shown on the Nominations page and the
preliminary PL2006 pages. If you feel there has been a significant
omission (missing subcategory etc.) post your comments for discussion.
If you have a program to suggest post information about it for discussion.

Late program additions need support from the group before being listed
for nomination. If others agree that the a program is their *preferred*
choice for that subcategory submit a program description in this thread:
[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Fran

I would like to nominate Spampal for Internet: E-mail tools: Spam.
http://www.spampal.org/

I noticed two programs nominated in that category, K9 and POPfile, support
only POP e-mail accounts and only Bayesian filtering, while Spampal supports
both POP and IMAP, can be installed as transparent proxy on WinXP (no OE
setup necessary) and supports both Bayesian and DNSBL filtering internally,
with many other filter plugins available from the homepage.

Bjorn Simonsen

Fran wrote in said:
I would like to nominate Spampal for Internet: E-mail tools: Spam.
http://www.spampal.org/

I noticed two programs nominated in that category, K9 and POPfile, support
only POP e-mail accounts and only Bayesian filtering, while Spampal supports
both POP and IMAP, can be installed as transparent proxy on WinXP (no OE
setup necessary) and supports both Bayesian and DNSBL filtering internally,
with many other filter plugins available from the homepage.

Never tried it my self, and have not taken the time to read whats been
said about it here in the past (google search:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2E22120C) but I agree it would be nice
to include a spam filter with IMAP support on the list as well (if is
in fact is any good and freeware)

FWIW Spampal made it to the 2003 list, but not later.

I suggest you revise the current description found at
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#0696-PW>...
and submit it here. Among other things the current desc. have the
current version info wrong...and I would guess maybe the
feature-description might need a revision too(?)..

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen