Windows XP XP Pro install unable to view network shares

Reaction score
I have a small network at home 7 PCs (all running XP Pro or MCE) and a media server which is running XP MCE. I have a ADSL router which is the DCHP server too and all pc's access the router for internet access. Folder sharing on in server and all the other PC's access the shares on the server ok.

I have just upgraded Two of my PC's (installed a new motherboard on both) I managed to remove all drivers for hardware from both PC's I then installed the new motherboard and installed new drivers for each PC, without a clean XP install. (I don't want to do a fresh install of XP as the comptuers are used for games and have many items installed that would take too long to re-install/download). All went great except 1 pc will not view the workgroup anymore. I can ping to and from this pc to any other PC on the workgroup with no probs. When I attempt to access the media server though, the PC cannot see the shares that all the other computers on the network can. I have even typed \\192.168.0.1\\films (film share) and it will not see that share. This pc will still however, access the internet fine and has been assigned an IP address.

I can remote desktop from the PC by using an IP address, as soon as I type the name in I am informed this address is unavailable. I have removed the File and print sharing client and all protocols then re-installed them, this didnt help. I have also tried another network adapter and this didnt work either.

Short of re-installing XP,I am a bit stuck as the other PC, where I changed the motherboard, works fine games run and I can access the network via the comptuers names and Ip addresses.

Any suggestions would be a massive help as I am stuck as to what is the problem.

TIA

Reaction score
bLaZeR666_uk said:
\\192.168.0.1\\films
Do not need the second backslash at this point.
...try that.

Checked the firewall settings? The firewall might be blocking the Media Servers IP.

Failing that, perhaps rename the workgroup of the computer not seeing the Media Server and then reboot with this new workgroup name -> rename back to the original name and reboot again ...then click on 'View workgroup computers' in 'My Network Places' and leave for about 10minutes ...come back after 10minutes and if the Media Server hasn't shown up yet press F5.

If you still have no luck, have a look at this Microsoft Article: Clicky.

Reaction score
Jason.369 said:
...try that.

Checked the firewall settings? The firewall might be blocking the Media Servers IP.

Failing that, perhaps rename the workgroup of the computer not seeing the Media Server and then reboot with this new workgroup name -> rename back to the original name and reboot again ...then click on 'View workgroup computers' in 'My Network Places' and leave for about 10minutes ...come back after 10minutes and if the Media Server hasn't shown up yet press F5.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

Firewall is turned off. I have renamed the workgroup and the computer still doesnt see the main workgroup. I will try the method you had discribed above and let you know what has happened.

Thanks

Reaction score
Jason.369 said:
...try that.

No luck tried all you said, and also all that was suggested by MS.

I have noticed that in the loacl area connection properties the "client for microsoft windows" and "file and print sharing" are unchecked. I have attemped to tick the boxes for these but I am informed that am I sure I want to uncheck these (even though they are unchecked!). I think there is somthing wrong with NETBIOS.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question