Windows XP Network printer not seen since XP re-install

Reaction score
I've just had to re-install XP Home and now the network HP Laserjet isn't visible anymore. The printer is connected to a switch which in turn is connected to a Mac and this PC.

It's been working well for over 12 months with this config but since the XP re-install I can't access the printer via IP address from the PC but I can from the Mac. I know I've missed something but can't figure what.

The PC and Mac are wireless, but this hasn't affected anything in the past. What have I missed or not configured properly on the PC?

Any help much appreciated.

Arnie J.

Reaction score
Hi Ian
Thank you for the warm welcome and quick response.

Excellent, I had just Googled your link when you replied. Well I can get as far as Stage 12, so for some reason as far as the PC is concerned the printer is not on the network. I have restarted the printer and switch and checked the cables, but stage 12 is what I get!

[EDIT]: Sorry I do have the IP btw.

Arnie

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which model HP printer do you have and are you able to ping the IP address from the command prompt ok?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. What's the switch that it's plugged in to? It works ok from the Mac?

Reaction score
Yes it works fine with the Mac and worked fine with the PC until the XP re-install. I'm just wandering if it's something to do with the motherboard drivers. What do you think? Certainly until I installed those, there was no sound and no wireless USB working.

Cheers for the help btw.

AR

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the rest of your network works ok, then I would have thougth it wouldn't be a driver issue. Do you have any firewalls installed and is file/printer sharing enabled?

Perhaps someone else on here will also have some ideas :)

Reaction score
Well, the firewall is OFF on the PC for the purposes of this, the Mac has Sharing enabled on this printer, so I wouldn't have thought that was hogging it and C drive on the PC is Shared. Since I haven't got an icon for the HP in Printers & Faxes I can't set it to share. I've tried switching the network cables over in the switch too. It's a weird one this.

I have just managed to install Service Pack 3. Could that be it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
We know the issue is with your PC.
It's fairly safe to assume it's not a hardware fault.

Does the PC have a static IP or does it obtain one from DHCP.
Is the IP on the same range and subnet.
Do you have a firewall enabled.
Is your WiFi connected as a private (Home / Work) or public network.

Reaction score
JaLing said:
1. Does the PC have a static IP or does it obtain one from DHCP.
2. Is the IP on the same range and subnet.
3. Do you have a firewall enabled.
4. Is your WiFi connected as a private (Home / Work) or public network.

I'm about at the depth of my knowledge here, so please excuse me:
1. Not sure, how would I tell?
2. As what sorry?
3. Not on the PC no.
4. WiFi is private Home / Work

Thanks.

Ask a Question