XP bootup hangs on mup.sys driver load

G

My XP machine recently started hanging while playing MP3s, each time requiring a hard reset. Now XP hangs when booting, again requiring a reset. Safe mode shows it stopping while loading system32\drivers\mup.sys. I went into recovery console and extracted mup.sys from the CD and replaced it, but that did not help

At this point, I am assuming some hardware problem, but am not sure what. I tried swapping out each memory module in turn, with no improvement. Does anyone know what mup.sys does? During bootup POST, I now get one short beep, followed by another short beep a couple seconds later. I seem to remember only one in the past

Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra, AMD Athalon XP 2700+, PC2100 memory, onboard RAID and sound enabled

Ideas anyone? Budget won't allow much money to be put into troubleshooting or repair

Gary

G

Hi,

I would advise you to also replace the system hive via the recovery console and test. If this does not work you can try a windows repair. PLease see the steps below for both procedures.

1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
a. Press the key specified to enter your BIOS. In most cases you need to press Del to enter the BIOS setup. You should see a message on startup, right in the beginning, which says something like “press <key> to enter setupâ€. E.g. Press Del to enter setup.
b. Go into either the Boot section, if you have one, or the 2nd option (should be something like “BIOS features setup†or “Advanced BIOS featuresâ€).
c. Change to boot sequence (should show as “boot sequence†or first boot device; 2nd boot device; 3rd boot device; etc.) so that CD-ROM is first.
d. Exit saving changes.
e. When prompted to “Press any key to boot from CDâ€, press Enter.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to repair a Windows XP installation by using the Recovery Console.
3. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type "1" (without the quotation marks), and then press Enter.
4. When you are prompted for a password, type the local Administrator password, and then press ENTER. (If you are not prompted for a password, skip to the next step.)
5. Type "cd system32" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
6. Type "cd config" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

The command prompt will be similar to the following (where <Windows> is the folder in which Windows is installed):

C:\<Windows>\System32\Config>

7. Type "rename system system.old" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
8. Type "copy c:\windows\repair\system" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

You receive the following message:

1 file(s) copied.

9. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks) to quit the Recovery Console, and then start Windows as usual.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD.
2. Restart the machine.
3. Press the key specified to enter your BIOS. In most cases you need to press Del to enter the BIOS setup. You should see a message on startup, right in the beginning, which says something like “press <key> to enter setupâ€. E.g. Press Del to enter setup.
4. Go into either the Boot section, if you have one, or the 2nd option (should be something like “BIOS features setup†or “Advanced BIOS featuresâ€).
5. Change to boot sequence (should show as “boot sequence†or first boot device; 2nd boot device; 3rd boot device; etc.) so that CD-ROM is first.
6. Exit saving changes.
7. When you see the message to press any key to boot from CD, press any key.
8. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to do a clean install.
9. Press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
10. Press R to run a repair install.
11. Let setup run through. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the machine restarts.

Regards,

Ask a Question