Xbox live

Reaction score
Just a quick question really.

I am looking at buying a used exbox 360 on ebay, and I will be wanting to play a lot of games online.

I was wondering that if you buy a used xbox, will you need to request the login details from the original owner? Or can you register the console again, under a different name.

Im not sure how it all works, so please enlighten me wise ones! :)

Cheers

Geo

Reaction score
from what ive been told by a 360 owner and online gamer as below

"what you do is create ur gamertag on the console then u have to pay to go online (monthly or yearly subscription) nd then link that subscription to ur tag. easy. b careful with ebay ones though, id prefer a shop one to be honest (due to the common red ring of death fault)"

T®îþL3×Ю3@Ð says:
so just basically create a new gamertag within the console? and then register for a subscription?

"yeps yer u can buy one on ebay or from a shop, then u enter it within the console."

hope that helps ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Just a quick question really.

I am looking at buying a used exbox 360 on ebay, and I will be wanting to play a lot of games online.

I was wondering that if you buy a used xbox, will you need to request the login details from the original owner? Or can you register the console again, under a different name.

Im not sure how it all works, so please enlighten me wise ones! :)

Cheers

Geo

good question

I got a 2nd hand xbox elite very good deal at the time £160 quid
i was laughin at the time.

Only a few weeks later I put in a DVD and a game that was rated 15 and BANG
I got asked to enter a family code or something
basically it asked for this code that had been set by the previous owner
but only that owner didnt know thats because they got it locked up.

so in essence i couldnt go on xbox live, watch dvds or play most games it was annoying

so i gave microsoft a call and was on the phone with this woman for 40 minutes she gave me some codes none of them worked
so i asked the question on this forum im a member on and this bloke knew a reset code that microsoft didnt even have a clue about or they wouldnt tell me
it reset the xbox and now its working fine

the point here is be careful make sure there's no family settings code already set

as for your question i hope td answered it :)

Reaction score
also ask the manufacturer date written on the back
if it's 05 dont touch it

06 think about it

but if it's 07 or 08 def get it

i say 06 and 05 are bad because these two years are likley to give u red ring of deatch

Reaction score
Thanks - i'm going to be getting an elite, so they are all 2007 I think?

So basically, with the xbox live thing, I make a new gamer tag on the xbox, and then buy a new subscription to enable online play.

So in essence I dont need any previous information from the past owner, maybe a family code.

I shall be purchasing this bad boy in two weeks time when I get back from my holiday, just in time for university :p

Il set up a gamertags post so I can add you all to beat you all :)

Reaction score
well you can get onto xbox live for free under xbox silver membership
it's simple to setup and has to be done on the internet. then you enter this information on the xbox itself.

you won't want a xbox with a family setting code that none knows. Although I could try get you a reset code.

with xbox silver you can add friends, use msn but can't play against anyone
that's xbox live gold membership which costs money.

yes get an elite I think they are all 2007 really good console and reccomend it
get it on hdmi you'll love it. I wonder how many of us on pcr are on xbox live!?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have a 360 but I'm not on XBox live, don't plan on going online either as I think its a rip off..

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Don't bother with the xbox get a ps3 instead, it costs more money but are wayyyyy better,

I had a 360 but it kept breaking, i know the newish ones don't but it won't do 1080p, you get bluray with a ps3, you can change the HDD in a ps3, games are better now on ps3, its free to play online!

Take it from someone who has had both, the PS3 kicks the Xbox all over the place.

Plus the graphics are better on the PS3.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Don't bother with the xbox get a ps3 instead, it costs more money but are wayyyyy better,

I had a 360 but it kept breaking, i know the newish ones don't but it won't do 1080p, you get bluray with a ps3, you can change the HDD in a ps3, games are better now on ps3, its free to play online!

Take it from someone who has had both, the PS3 kicks the Xbox all over the place.

Plus the graphics are better on the PS3.
Couldn't agree with you more

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I have a 360 but I'm not on XBox live, don't plan on going online either as I think its a rip off..

you can get on xbox live for free under silver membership

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The playstation 3 may be a better console than the Xbox 360 but I wouldn't touch anything Sony with a bargepole thankyou..

Reaction score
lol

okay blueray, bluetooth are the main reasons I would get a ps3 but you can't mod a PS3 :) Always full wack for games.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
How do you mean mod?

you can install linux on a PS3, the hard drive is a desktop seagate barracuda 7200rpm, i have a 500gb in mine.

Reaction score
No i've read up a lot about the two consoles, and even though the ps3 has the better hardware, the xbox utilizes it better.

Games are made for the xbox 360 and then converted onto the PS3.

I dont like the playsation controllers, they feel to samey, and after a decade my hands have grown to dislike the layout of the controller

Xbox gold may cost money, but it is a lot better than playstations online service

The catalouge of games for the xbox is vast, and has a lot more that I like, never been a fan of Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid

Games seem to be pro xbox, because it seems to be xbox that gets the extras all the time, GTA for example.

I can get a Blu Ray player if I really wanted one, which will no doubt be better than the ps3 one, but for now I have no need for blu ray movies. I'm sure that xbox will release a blu ray addon.

Xbox can play games at 1080i, i'm not sure why you think otherwise. You can also change the HD.

Im not a fanboy, but I think the xbox is better, it came out first and thats a huge advantage, look at the last generation of consoles, the xbox was superior to the ps2, but wasnt as popular... the tides have now turned

My two pence

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah it plays games at 1080i, which is the same as 720p, i know its confusing but there are differences, PS3 is 1080p.

But hey, if you want an Xbox then its your money, was just offering a different option.

Reaction score
Fair play to ya, thanks for the advice but I think I will be getting the Xbox still :p

Reaction score
lol

A man who has made his mind up :)

If you are getting it 2nd hand don't forget to make sure there's no family settings code and make sure it's a 2006 or 2007 model. Simple :)

Let us know your ID then I will compete against you.

Ask a Question