Windows fails to boot

G

What happens
My computer starts u
It goes to the Windows Starting Up scree
After a few seconds the screen goes blac
Then I get a black screen with white text telling me that Windows couldnt load up right, then it tells me a couple of the possible reasons why(power outage, recent hardware/software change
Then it has options to start it up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking(which is what Im in right now), Safe Mode with Command Prompt, to use the Last Good Known Configuration,or to Start windows normall

It began around a week ago. I was confused because none of the reasons the screen gave me is what happened. No power outage, no hardware/software change, nothing at all
The first couple of times, I would go into Safe Mode and restart. That worked fine
Then it happened again and restarting it in Safe Mode didnt work
So I did a System Restore. Didnt work.
I tried an earlier Checkpoint. That worked
Then 2 days ago, I watched 2 DVDs, I turned off my computer, then turned it on 10 minutes later and the problem came back
Nothing I tried worked.
So, I contacted Compaq(I have a Presario) about it
The person told me to go into Safe Mode, to run msconfig, to turn off all the services, and restart
Well, that didnt work. Not only that, but when I tried another System Restore, it now told me that there were no checkpoints available. (Frustrating because I had one almost every other day for months)
So I contacted Compaq again
This time, the person told me to run SFC /SCANNOW and restart. And that if that didnt work, I would have to reformat my hard drive
Of course, the command didnt do anything
Someone I know told me that I can get the Windows XP disc and do a Repair Install. Is that true? I would rather do that than reformat my drive
I have searched online and have looked at Windows Troubleshooting books, but all of them just say to do a System Restore
Of course, I cant do that anymore because somehow all my checkpoints were deleted
So I don't know what to do
I have Windows XP Home Edition
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Thank You

G

Yes you can use the windows cd to do a repair.If you need help with this please post and we will help.

G

I was wondering, if I go out and buy XP Pro, would an Upgrade Install do the job
Ive been meaning to upgrade for some time now.

Also, am I defenseless in Safe Mode?

Ask a Question