Windows Explorer Windows

Gerry

Trying to get Drives / Folders and Sub-Folders on the right as existed in
XP. Also tried to get a shortcut from the Desk top to open to windows
displayed in this way. Failed!

Shortcut opens to display Windows as I want but anchors itself to document;
not Computer or the C drive. If I click on Computer it lists the drives /
partition but there is no right pane.

Am I able to configure the way I want and if so how do I go about it?

TIA

~~~~

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick Murphy

Start>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer>right-click>send to Desktop
shortcut

Synapse Syndrome

Gerry said:
Trying to get Drives / Folders and Sub-Folders on the right as existed in
XP. Also tried to get a shortcut from the Desk top to open to windows
displayed in this way. Failed!

Shortcut opens to display Windows as I want but anchors itself to
document; not Computer or the C drive. If I click on Computer it lists the
drives / partition but there is no right pane.

Am I able to configure the way I want and if so how do I go about it?

I can try answering your question after you confirm that you know the
difference between right and left. Otherwise I cannot make any sense of
your question.

ss.

Gerry

Left <-> right! Do I pass <G>?

I will rephrase paragraph one of my original post to clarify.

In Windows XP if you placed the cursor on My Computer in the left pane then
not only were drives / partitions were displayed below but they were also
displayed in the right pane. If you placed the cursor on a drive / partition
/ folder in the left pane they would also display in the right pane I am
trying to get Drives / Partitions / Folders and Sub-Folders to display in a
right pane as existed in
XP. I have also tried to get a shortcut from the Desktop to open to windows
displayed in this way. Failed!

I hope what I am looking to achieve is clearer.

TIA

~~~~

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nonny

Left <-> right! Do I pass <G>?

I will rephrase paragraph one of my original post to clarify.

In Windows XP if you placed the cursor on My Computer in the left pane then
not only were drives / partitions were displayed below but they were also
displayed in the right pane. If you placed the cursor on a drive / partition
/ folder in the left pane they would also display in the right pane I am
trying to get Drives / Partitions / Folders and Sub-Folders to display in a
right pane as existed in
XP. I have also tried to get a shortcut from the Desktop to open to windows
displayed in this way. Failed!

Right click "start orb"

Properties

Make Computer display as a menu

You can get a shortcut to Computer on the desktop by right-clicking it
in the Start menu and choosing "show on desktop" It won't disply just
by hovering, however

Gerry

Hi Rick

I played with your suggestion:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /select, C:\ was the best result but there is no
right pane.

It provides a list of drives / partitions in the left pane. No right pane.
Click on an item and I get a list of the files / folders in the level below.
This is not the most convenient way to navigate in Windows Explorer and
certainly compares very unfavorably with the arrangement in Windows XP. You
cannot see the structure of the tree given there is no ability to expand /
collapse by clicking on a + - sign.. It is also difficult to go back up the
tree from level to level

I did find that it is possible to select higher levels through using the
scroll in what I will call an address box. I have two choices there - c:\
and c:\windows. I am not clear how you add to / remove the entries there.
Can you help?

~~~~
Regards

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry

Nonny

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked out your suggestion. This has the same effect as putting
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /select, C:\ as the target in a sort cut but
there is still no

--
~~~~

Gerry