System File Checker

Gerry Cornell

Is there an equivalent of System File Checker in Vista?

--
TIA.

Gerry
~~~~
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Barnett MVP

System File Checker exists on Vista. Just do the same as you would on XP.
Visit this link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Gerry Cornell

John

Something flashes so quick that you can see nothing. I do not think
the utility runs. Nothing disclosed in Task Manager.

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell

John

Further to my earlier message running sfc does seem to prompt the
creation of a system restore point.

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam Albright

John

Something flashes so quick that you can see nothing. I do not think
the utility runs. Nothing disclosed in Task Manager.

If you suspect file system errors you can always right click on any
drive letter in Windows Explorer, properties, tools, run error check.
This will cause Windows to check the volume for any file system errors
and if your check in the appropriate place will automaticlly fix them.

If you get a error message saying Windows can't do it now, due to
files being in use and/or 'locked' typical for your root drive, still
check to do then shut down and when Windows boots again before
displaying the normal Windows desktop you will see a pale blue screen
(not the dark blue BSOD screen) while in runs tests on your file
system. Just wait. It will give you a summary at the end of what if
anything was wrong, what it fixed, couldn't fix, then all by itself
continue on and continue to boot into windows. How long the process
takes depends on how many drives you check at once, the speed of your
system and of course the size of your hard drives. Do NOT check scan
for bad sectors, that can take forever.

John Inzer

Gerry said:
John

Something flashes so quick that you can see nothing. I do not think
the utility runs. Nothing disclosed in Task Manager.
============================
A search of the MSKB for SFC turns up the following articles:

(929840) You cannot use the System File
Checker tool to verify or to repair Windows
Vista if Windows Vista is in a mounted image
file or in a bootable WIM file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929840/en-us

(928228) How to analyze the log file entries
that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker
(SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228/en-us

(929833) Some Windows Vista functions may
not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Gerry Cornell

Adam

No suspected system errors. I was just interested to see what it
would do.

Are you confusing System File Checker with the Error Checking Tool
(aka chkdsk) ? System Files checks driver!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane C

sfc /scannow needs to be run from an elevated command prompt. (Run as
administrator).

Gerry Cornell

John

None of your suggestions would appear to fit the situation.

The cbs.log is 11 mb. Are there ways to limit the amount of history
the log contains?

--
TIA.

Gerry
~~~~
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell

Jane

If I am logged on as Administrator what more do I need to do?

--
TIA.

Gerry
~~~~
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell

Further investigation reveals that a System Restore point was not
created!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane C

Right-click the command prompt and 'Run as Administrator'. Even
Administrators run in standard user mode unless and until they request that
an action be performed as a true Administrator.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That is what the middle article tells you how to do.
The CBS log has more than just the SFC entries
thus article 928228 How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft
Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928228
Points to using this string on the cbs log file to output the SFC entries
to sfcdetails.txt
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

But Jane's post should be pointing you in the right direction for running
the tool.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Gerry Cornell" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: System File Checker
|>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:26:53 +0100
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>John
|>
|>None of your suggestions would appear to fit the situation.
|>
|>The cbs.log is 11 mb. Are there ways to limit the amount of history
|>the log contains?
|>

|>--
|>TIA.
|>
|>Gerry
|>~~~~
|>Stourport, England
|>Enquire, plan and execute
|>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|>> ============================
|>> A search of the MSKB for SFC turns up the following articles:
|>>
|>> (929840) You cannot use the System File
|>> Checker tool to verify or to repair Windows
|>> Vista if Windows Vista is in a mounted image
|>> file or in a bootable WIM file
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929840/en-us
|>>
|>> (928228) How to analyze the log file entries
|>> that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker
|>> (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228/en-us
|>>
|>> (929833) Some Windows Vista functions may
|>> not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us
|>>
|>> --
|>> John Inzer
|>> MS Picture It! -
|>> Digital Image MVP
|>>
|>> Digital Image
|>> Highlights and FAQs
|>> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
|>>
|>> Notice
|>> This is not tech support
|>> I am a volunteer
|>>
|>> Solutions that work for
|>> me may not work for you
|>>
|>> Proceed at your own risk

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I think Jane is correct in the assessment of what needs to happen to get
SFC to run properly.
Gerry,
If while running in an elevated CMD prompt do you see the same behavior.
If so I need the cbs.log file sent to me. Compress it( it's a text file so
it should zip up much smaller)
Send to my posting address however remove the online from name (
(e-mail address removed))
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Jane C" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: System File Checker
|>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:22:42 +1000
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Right-click the command prompt and 'Run as Administrator'. Even
|>Administrators run in standard user mode unless and until they request
that
|>an action be performed as a true Administrator.
|>
|>--
|>Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
|>Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
|>>
|>> If I am logged on as Administrator what more do I need to do?
|>>

|>> --
|>> TIA.
|>>
|>> Gerry
|>> ~~~~
|>> Stourport, England
|>> Enquire, plan and execute
|>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Barnett MVP

Gerry, the article on my website
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm that i directed you to
quite specifically tells you (step 4) to use the 'run as administrator'
option. If you are not using this option this 'may' be the reason why sfc
'flashes' quickly without running.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Gerry Cornell

John and Others

Right clicking on the Command Prompt and selecting Run as
Administrator worked as regards getting System File Checker to run.

Thanks to all for responding.

--

Regards.

Gerry