Windows 7 Windows 7 sp1

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have an evaluation copy of sp1 running on my laptop and want to switch to the official release. My question is : if i download and install the update does the evaluation get removed or do i remove it myself first ?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
No you have to first remove the evaluation, then do the download. Also a good thing to run Ccleaner first after removing the evaluation

Reaction score
Hi EvanDavis,
I'm back with some questions for ya....first is it possible for me to have already had sp1 installed without realising it ? The reason i ask is cos in my system properties it says i have SP1 v.721 on my computer. Also when i was checking back through system updates i came across these updates
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 SP1 RC (KB2482017)
Security Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (KB2485376)
Security Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (KB2419640)
Security Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (KB2296199)
Security Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (KB2485376)
I cannot find the evaluation build.
Any tips?
Edit : sorry, i just found Service Pack for microsoft windows (KB976932) How do i find out if thats the evaluation copy or the official release ?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Any tips?

Yep, leave things be, looks like MS have got something right and have auto-updated.

It's likely the evaluation SP1 was not so very different from the eventual official release and so was easily converted by MS auto-update.

If things are running ok and your update log shows SP1 is installed then leave alone.

As the saying goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reaction score
Its build number 7601.
I'd leave it alone except for i have an "Windows 7 Evaluation copy Build 7601" label in the bottom right corner of my desktop. I have changed the desktop with various backgrounds but the badge stays there....anyway i'll probably just leave it alone as Flopp's suggests......everything's running really well.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I would not worry about the "Windows 7 Evaluation copy Build 7601" everything IS correct despite initially being given wrong advice. Poor choice of words for upgrading.

I tells me one of two things ... you "upgraded" your previously installed Win7 from say, Premium to Ultimate, that may have been you or the suppler of your system, you tell us it's a laptop, so I'm not surprised to "see" them get it a wee bit wrong ... or, you cocked up and installed the "leaked" version of SP1 which has subsequently been properly released. :p

You can remove the watermark, but try going to Windows update & check to see, press the bloody button, if there is any updates to the update that updated your system. :lol:

Consider yourself special, or in special needs. :lol:

let it be, it will be corrected eventually :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What Mucks said. 7601 is up to date. :)

Reaction score
Hi Mucks,
I upgraded from vista home premium to windows 7 home premium and then when it came out installed the "evaluation copy" of SP1. I didn't realise it was a leaked version......i'll leave well enough alone. Ta very much to everyone who made suggestions.:thumb:

Ask a Question