Windows 7 Power switched during update

Reaction score
My laptop went into updating and suddenly power was switched of, (laptop battery had been removed prior to use).
Now when switched on......nothing
Tried restarting in safe mode and tried system restore, still.......nothing
Can laptop be restored as I have files I would like to retrieve.
Can anyone help????
All help appreciated. Thanks.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
My laptop went into updating and suddenly power was switched of, (laptop battery had been removed prior to use).
Now when switched on......nothing
Tried restarting in safe mode and tried system restore, still.......nothing
Can laptop be restored as I have files I would like to retrieve.
Can anyone help????
All help appreciated. Thanks.
Assuming that the hard drive is still good, then it's definitely possible to retrieve files from the laptop, as long as these files were not corrupted (very unlikely) when the power went out.

If you're unable to boot the system in safe mode, how did you attempt to do a system restore? Did you use the Windows 7 installer CD?

Normally when these things happen, Windows reverts the interrupted update and tries again at the next shutdown.

What happens when you attempt to boot? Is it really nothing? No text on screen, not even a flashing underscore?

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Reaction score
Hi Capt Jack,
Laptop went into Startup Repair mode and once finished I went to the Advanced Option or System Recovery and Support and found system restore there.
When I restart the laptop it keeps going into Startup Repair mode.
Diagnosis from Startup Repair
"Boot manager failed to find OS Loader"
That's as far as I have managed to get, so as I said any help is appreciated
Thanks.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Hi Capt Jack,
Laptop went into Startup Repair mode and once finished I went to the Advanced Option or System Recovery and Support and found system restore there.
When I restart the laptop it keeps going into Startup Repair mode.
Diagnosis from Startup Repair
"Boot manager failed to find OS Loader"
That's as far as I have managed to get, so as I said any help is appreciated
Thanks.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Have you tried cancelling the startup repair? Or does it just attempt it again after a reboot?

Some of the methods that I would try failing this are destructive to the data stored on the hard disk.
At this point, if that data is that critical, it might be a better idea to remove the hard drive from the laptop, install it into a desktop PC and back up the important data from there before trying anything a bit more extreme.

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Ask a Question