Windows 7 Windows 7 Keeps shutting down every 2 hours

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a bit of an issue with my laptop.
I originally had vista home home premium. Then i downloaded the RC for windows 7 and decided i liked it. I then bought and installed an upgrade but now the RC keeps shutting me down. I have read on MS website that i will have to uninstall the Windows RC SP1.
My question is what will happen to my pc when i uninstall this service pack?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated as i'm thinking of just buying Windows 7 and doing a fresh install......which i should have done in the first place:cry:

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a bit of an issue with my laptop.
I originally had vista home home premium. Then i downloaded the RC for windows 7 and decided i liked it. I then bought and installed an upgrade but now the RC keeps shutting me down. I have read on MS website that i will have to uninstall the Windows RC SP1.
My question is what will happen to my pc when i uninstall this service pack?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated as i'm thinking of just buying Windows 7 and doing a fresh install......which i should have done in the first place:cry:

Hi Zed,

The reason your PC is shutting down is because MS have stopped supporting Windows 7 RC it expired in June 2010 this link also gives some more information.

If you remove the service pack from your PC it should still be ok but to be on the safe side I would backup any data you need prior to removing the service pack just in case things go wrong.

What version of Windows 7 are you looking at getting? Windows 7 HP gets my vote I have been using it since its been out and never had any issues :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply Wizkid....i have the W7 HP upgrade so i will remove the RC SP1 and try the upgrade and if it doesn't work i'll buy the full install. It's 150 euro. Kinda steepish. Will let ya's know how i get on tomorrow. Thanks again.:D

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply Wizkid....i have the W7 HP upgrade so i will remove the RC SP1 and try the upgrade and if it doesn't work i'll buy the full install. It's 150 euro. Kinda steepish. Will let ya's know how i get on tomorrow. Thanks again.:D

Hi Zed,

No worries happy to help. :)

You may also find these links useful on how to do a clean install with the Windows 7 upgrade media. Also the second link shows how to solve the activation issue once you have set it up again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Hope this helps

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
.i have the W7 HP upgrade so i will remove the RC SP1 and try the upgrade and if it doesn't work i'll buy the full install.

If you have the upgrade, burn it to disk and do a fresh install. The media is actually the same as te full. Only thing is you might have to give them at MS a call to activate it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not to Ireland :p

floppybootstomp said:
Not sure how they'd be with Euros and Dublin but you could phone them up and ask them.

Yes, I should have added 'in the UK'. I have now amended my post. But at base prices of £69 & £112 I do strongly suspect E-Buyer is the cheapest option whatever the euro/sterling and delivery arrangements.

E-Buyer aren't the only ones selling at that price either, several online computer parts suppliers sell for a similar price.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aye OEM versions are cheaper. An E-buyers prices are v.good for UK deliveries. :)

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the help. I have started to delete what i deem to be rubbish before i do an install (my first ever by the way). I was just wondering what exactly do i "really need to back up?
Is it just program files, program data and drivers or is there more i need to keep, just in case things go bad.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Back up your documents, thats the main thing, or should be. Unless you already have it on a separate hard disk (which you should tbh)

I suggest you copy the contents of the C\Users\Appdata (local and roaming) as that is where your programs keep a lot of their settings. Will help in the reinstalling of all your programs. (need to unhide hidden folders to see them)

Before you do the reinstall download the latest AV, drivers and anything else you think you will need. Add them to the backup of your docs and your just about ready to go.

Dont bother backing up your program files etc.

Off the top of my head i cant think of anything else you need to copy...... Best to just have a look around and make sure you got what you need.

BTW, your doing a fresh install right? W7 will ask if you want to keep your old install in a folder called windows.old if you want to, that way if your do forget something you can still get it back after the format/reinstall. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Any important e-mails, that's the one I always forget. And saved games.

And the obvious - music, pix, documents.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes, the outlook .pst files in appdata\local, unless you have a webmail client. :)

This is why i mentioned above to backup the hidden Appdata folder, I did a reinstall last weekend and it helps no end, as most of your programs have a folder here that stores your settings for the program (view settings, config's etc)

:)

Ask a Question